+ Reply to Thread

Default What's the best way to fill holes in exterior bricks?

I recently purchased a brick building and the previous owners had several large signs on the side of the building leaving multiple holes in both the brick and the grout. Does anyone have any advice on how to best fill the holes?

Default Re: What's the best way to fill holes in exterior bricks?

For holes in the bricks, use colored cement and for the holes in the grout use same color grout.

Brick mortar is sold in bags at Home Burrito. They also sell colorant.

Do not fill the weep holes just above the foundation.

I think the cement is the best way to fill the wholes in exterior bricks, other than this option I have not tried any other way...at all.

I use a product called DoubleStick Eternabond...it's like a chewing gum on steroids. It usually comes in rolls that are 2"x50'. I use it to fill in holes in my siding caused by pipes, cords, etc. coming from inside to outside. I have tried spray foam to fill the crack around these items, but it never seems to work. It always falls out within a couple of years. The doublestick has been holding strong for 7 years now.

If you want to see what Eternabond Doublestick is do a google search for 'youtube eternabond doublestick'.

I think everyone should have at least 1 roll of this awesome product in their garage.

Mortar (or grout) and colorant, all of which is available at any materials supplier.

I once filled in an abandoned light fixture hole in brick. After properly terminating the wiring, the metal box was beaten over into the hole (left to help key in new mortar ). I then laid in the mortar in a couple of layers (let dry between layers to reduce shrinkage and cracking ). The last layer was tooled to simulate the grout lines and existing brick face. Once it was primed and painted to match the rest of the wall you could hardly notice that it wasn't original.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!