+ Reply to Thread

Default threshold on my new sliding door is 3" higher After New Slider Was Installed

Our contractor (with some help from my father) just installed a sliding door on the back of our house, through our kitchen to a deck (we have not yet built). He had to install a frame for the door on top of the existing floor because the baseboards and support beams had rotted out underneath. Essentially, there is a 3inch height difference between our kitchen floor and the top of the door sill. We still need to install a floor in our kitchen, which could eventually make the difference less cumbersome, but what can I do about this to help insure that no one falls out onto our deck in the future because they miss the 3inch height difference?! I thought about slanting the new floor through the 20 foot room from the sliding door to the doorway that comes into the kitchen from the living room, but I know that would be pretty drastic and noticeable. Please refrain from telling me how this wasn't the right way to build the door. What's done is done. I need to figure out a way to make due with what I have and come up with a design that works. cat (ps. wish I could post an image but having problems).
    Last edited by catherinew; 10-05-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: trying to add a picture

Default Re: threshold on my new sliding door is 3" higher After New Slider Was Installed

no need to post a picture. i know you don't want to hear it but you're going to hear it from me and everyone else on this and any other forum. call your contractor back and have him install the door properly. he should be ashamed to have done a job like that. there's really nothing you can do to "better" the problem.

it's just going to be a matter of time until someone gets hurt.

Default Re: threshold on my new sliding door is 3" higher After New Slider Was Installed

A thicker sea grass mat, which averages 1.5 to 2" would make a little step and a nice transition.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    no need to post a picture. i know you don't want to hear it but you're going to hear it from me and everyone else on this and any other forum. call your contractor back and have him install the door properly. he should be ashamed to have done a job like that. there's really nothing you can do to "better" the problem.

it's just going to be a matter of time until someone gets hurt.
    X2!

Seriously, you hired a "contractor" to install a door and he needed your dad's help AND he installs it 3" too high because he's too lazy or stupid to replace the damage that needs to be replaced? Whatever you paid this moron was a million times too much!

Whenever you have damage, that damage must be properly repaired before you try to build/install anything new over the top of it.

Let me ask you this, if the brakes on your car stop working, do you fix the brakes or do you install a new trunk lid? This is exactly what you have described this contractor doing, he didn't fix the brakes,, which means that you're still screwed and now you not only paid this idiot to F-up your house, you now have to pay someone else to come in and clean up the mess and do it properly.

If this idiot is indeed licensed (doubtful ), I would recommend reporting him to your contractor governing body.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have to agree with MLB Construction. Never live with a job done improperly, even if your father was involved your contractor should know better.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Totally agree with the posts above. The repair should have been done by removing the damaged areas and doing the repair so that the fixed subfloor is at the same height as the existing subfloor.

A transition as high as you mention is always going to be dangerous. Have the work redone.
    Steve Rogers

Remodeling University
    The Best Remodeling Education Available
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content