+ Reply to Thread

Default Raised Floor over slab

Hello, I'd like to use a portion of my attached garage for a laundry room (6 x 13). The main house sits about 12" higher than the concrete floor in the garage. What is the correct way to raise the floor so that the laundry room will be even to the main house?

Default Re: Raised Floor over slab

Pressure treated lumber must be used when placed against concrete, attached with redheads or shot driven nails. Everything else can be standard lumber.

Tip: Make sure you build the floor plenty strong and rigid, a running washer creates a lot of bounce and wiggle, an unstable floor will cause the machines to "walk".
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes. I was hoping for a bit more detail. Does a vapor barrier need to be put down? Do I use PT sleepers system or place the PT joists directly on the concrete? etc.

Thanks

If you leave the air space breathable under the floor, then there is no need for a vapor barrier. That is, elevate the framing above the slab to allow air to get under it.

I would either go with a pt sleeper, placing the joist on top of it OR better would be to use pt pads and build over those. The pads would allow for more air travel around and under the framing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

12" is high. Do you have a step from the garage to the house? If yes, what kind?

Why not match the same for the laundry stage?

No. I will have to add a door between the house and the garage.