+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Aluminum shingles. Yes or no?

Hello, I am going to need to replace the shingles on my house soon. It currently has asphalt shingles on it that I was just going to replace with asphalt again until I found aluminum shingles on the internet. They seem to be applied fairly easy and seem to have a good warrantee. I understand they are more expensive, but with a lifetime warrantee they seem worth it to not have to replace them again.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Are these good or are they the next gimmick? How is the noise level with hard rain/hail? What about strength against hail damage? What about fading over time?

Default Re: Aluminum shingles. Yes or no?

Stay with asphalt shingles.

There is a new Lowes near me, and they have a metal roof. They also have about two dozen buckets around the store when a rare rain storm comes around.

Post a link to these shingles, I have never seen or heard of aluminum used as a shingle.

Aluminum shingles have been around for years and are usually coated with a aggregate. The shingles that I have seen interlock with one another providing excellent protection from high winds. I am assuming this is also for a pitched roof not a flat roof? Also remember a roof is only as good as its flashing. I hope this helps and good luck on your project.

there is the original version called "fin-all roofing" its straight up aluminum but has the look of a regular shingle. my old man had it installed back in like 2002 with the only issue being standing under the eaves during a snow storm. snow wont stick to it, when theres about 2 " of snow accumulated it will slide off the roof. there were a few times i saw the old man get covered in snow. pretty funny.

metal roofs are notorious for leaks espcially on warehouses, the product. this is do to installers who dont pay attention to their fastening.. some roofs that dont have much of a overlap require special screws that have a gasket on them. if their undertorgqued or overtorqed with a driver the gasket is rendered useless
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Talking Re: Aluminum shingles. Yes or no?

post 10 yeah