+ Reply to Thread

Default Fireplace question...

Not sure if this is the best forum, but I noticed on my fireplace that there is a gap between the brick and the firebox of my fireplace. It looks like there was mortar there but it appears to have loosened and fallen out over time. I figured I could remortar it, but am wondering if there could be a better solution? I was thinking I could stuff the gap with that fireproof cord you see on wood burning stoves, or something similar. Any advice?

Default Re: Fireplace question...

How wide is the gap?

It's about 3/8"...

You can remortar as it was before, or you can caulk the gap, using a high temp caulk for stoves and fireplaces (one brand that comes to mind is red devil). You can even use the cord you mentioned as a filler and then caulk.

that gap is common many were not mortared to start just fiberglass insulation. we normally fill it with either fire clay or a probuct used for smoke chambers like chamber tech or chamber cure

are you talking about at the top of the opening? the gap between the lintel and the fire box was very often not mortared at all just stuffed with fiberglass insulation. if it was mortared with standard mortar it probably wont last. we use either fireclay mortar furnace cement of smoke chamber coatings like chamber tech to fill the gap