+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I Leave Wood Floor Unfinished?

Hi,

I posted a few weeks ago... I have an ongoing breathing problem so I removed the carpeting in my house. Well, I finished, but all that work really did me in.

The floor is light varnished oak. I removed all the staples, nails, dropped the moulding and scrubbed the daylights out of the floor. It's clean, but looks like heck in spots where the varnish is gone. Plus there's about a billion tiny holes and scratches and divots.

Like I said, I'm wondering if it's OK just to leave the refinishing part until next year. IOW: will it hurt the wood any just to have it bare---as I said the varnish is 95% still there.

TIA,

---JC

PS: There are still a few broken staple points embedded deep in the floor. They stick up like 1/32" ... too short to grab with pliers. How does one get these out without gouging the crap out of the floor?

Default Re: Can I Leave Wood Floor Unfinished?

you can leave it as is for as long as you want ifyou can live with the way it looks. i would recommend getting the staples out. did you try a pair of needle nosed pliers?

Of course you can leave the floor as is, but I'd refinish it. Two good reasons are: it will protect the wood and it will look better!

While finishing the oak, fill holes and sand scratches too. You should grind those staples that you can't remove.
    Last edited by dj1; 09-30-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Just don't have the energy now. And summer's over so no fumes or sanding dust for me until next year when I can have windows open. As long as the wood won't decay (and I won't cut my feet!) I can wait.

RE: The staples points and holes...
    1. What do you recommend for filling the holes/gouges? Just regular wood filler or is there some 'special' goop pros use which works better in some way?

2. AFA 'grinding' the staple points, what tool works best for this? Obviously, I'd like to do a minimal amount of damage to the wood. I was wondering if pounding them -deeper- with a nail and then puttying wouldn't be better?

Thanks again,

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Of course you can leave the floor as is, but I'd refinish it. Two good reasons are: it will protect the wood and it will look better!

While finishing the oak, fill holes and sand scratches too. You should grind those staples that you can't remove.

if you can't pull them out, set them deep, at least 1/8" below the top so that they don't ruin the sander. after you set them then fill the holes, sand and finish. regular wood filler is fine on floors. if you're going to stain them then use a stainable wood filler, if you're just clear coating the floors, then just regular wood filler.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    if you can't pull them out, set them deep, at least 1/8" below the top so that they don't ruin the sander. after you set them then fill the holes, sand and finish. regular wood filler is fine on floors. if you're going to stain them then use a stainable wood filler, if you're just clear coating the floors, then just regular wood filler.
    Cool. (Hopefully) one last stupid question: A few of the staples are rusty for some reason. If I use a nail set to punch them down... will any rust or other crap from the staples possibly 'percolate' up to the surface of the wood later and stain it?

Thanks Again!

---JC

no they won't....it will be fine