+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating Roof Cavity on Cathedral Ceiling

I have a 1928 vintage boathouse in northern WI with a clay tile roof and a finished cathedral ceiling in the second floor and want to insulate the 2" roof cavity between the finished ceiling and the wood under the tiles - the purpose is to discourage/eliminate the ability for the bats to get into that cavity. The cavity is accessible by removing the fascia boards along the edge, but then whatever foam is used must be blown in about 17' up to the peak. There are no fire breaks and the roof tiles are mounted on wood with sleepers 16" apart, so it may require a long hose or wand to insert insulation. Any suggestions? The boathouse is not heated or used in the winter, and the desire is to insulate the void to keep bats from occupying it in the summer.

Default Re: Insulating Roof Cavity on Cathedral Ceiling

The way I understand your question, it's about access to the area some 17' high.

Call some insulation people around you to see what method they use to reach the top of your roof.

If you attempt doing it yourself, use caution climbing up there.

Default Re: Insulating Roof Cavity on Cathedral Ceiling

Actually, the 2' cavity is accessible at the fascia and extends up 17' to the ridge line, so no need to risk life climbing on the tile roof. My issue is how to best insert some form of foam insulation into multiple spaces which are 17' in length/depth, 2" in height and 16" in width (the roofing material is placed on sleepers which are on 16" centers creating the cavity.