+ Reply to Thread

Default Clogged bathroom sink

We have recurring clog in our bathroom sink. our house is about 90 years old - we have snaked, drano, etc. The snake goes about 50 feet and finds nothing. The clog starts after only about 20-30 seconds of running water, so it can't be that far down the line. We have run the snake from the wall and know that the pipe doesn't have major obstruction. any ideas? maybe soft residue buildup - anyway to get rid of this if this is the problem? thanks

Default Re: Clogged bathroom sink

You may not be using the right kind of snake. If you're using the typical little "homeowner" type with an expanded spiral on the end of the cable, most likely all you're doing is "screwing" through the clog, you're not removing it. Switch to a snake that has a cutter head on it and see where that gets you. Do be careful, a 90 year old house could have some very weak pipes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you can also try taking the trap apart and cleaning it separately. should be pretty easy to do. and while you have it out check the tail pipe that goes into the trap and the pipe in the wall that the trap goes into.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    you can also try taking the trap apart and cleaning it separately. should be pretty easy to do. and while you have it out check the tail pipe that goes into the trap and the pipe in the wall that the trap goes into.
    That reminds me of another gadget that work really well and is super cheap. You can purchase a "balloon" that goes on the end of a garden hose. The balloon is inserted into the drain (below the tailpiece on the sink, and when the hose is turned on, the balloon swells and seals the drain, then it starts pressurizing the drain behind the clog, which should blow the clog down the line.

Usually, once the clog is freed, it will pass the rest of the way without problems, as long as there are not other clogs along the way. I have used one of these for a number of years now and it works great. A tip I'll share is to put a valve on the hose end to control the water where you're working, like this Melnor hose connector.

It is called a drain cleaning water bladder. Just make sure you buy the right size for the drain you're trying to clear.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 09-28-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Added links
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Pull the trap. Pull the drain plug mechanism. Clean it out with paper towels used as a pig. It's really gross, looks like a wet dead mouse, but you'll be a hero. Bathroom sinks are notorious for collecting hair and make-up.

Then repeat twice a year.
    Waste not, want not.
    Use it up. Wear it out. Make it due, or due without.