+ Reply to Thread

Question French Door Install Help

I am replacing interior french doors with custom two panel french doors made from knotty alder. The wall the doors are going to be installed into was not plum, my 6 foot level was out from the wall more then an inch so I tore out the wall and corrected that problem now the wall is level and straight. I have installed the door frame and it is level and plum but when I put the doors onto the hinges and close the door the top has a nice straight line across the top with a even gap but the bottom of the doors are misaligned. it looks like one of the doors is not shut completely or is over shut. what could be causing this problem? Thanks

Default Re: French Door Install Help

You're almost there.

You need to check the door for squareness: measure diagonally from the right top corner to the left bottom corner and then from the left top corner to the right bottom corner. I bet you get 2 measurements. If you do, correct it.

sounds like the frame might also be twisted
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Yep it sounds like either one or both of the wall legs are twisted slightly...
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I was also thiking the frame might be twisted, or at least the sides with the hinge mortise. I have measured from corner to corner this was the first thing I did.

I have a even gap across the top and down the middle, I have not actually nailed the sides up yet because I want this figured out first before doing any final nailing. I have a pair of single doors that I am going to be installing shortly these are the same size doors I might take one out of the framing and intall it in plane of the one that is giving me trouble.