+ Reply to Thread

Default Unable to Vent Bathroom Fan Outside

I live in an old building that's broken up into ad hoc apartments. It's impossible for me to vent the bathroom fan outside. The apartment is like a big shoebox -- 20' x 30' with 15' ceilings. The bathroom is basically a freestanding box in the apartment, with a 10' ceiling. Currently, the fan vents INTO (not all the way through) the bathroom's ceiling. Unsurprisingly, there's a ton of mold on the ceiling and in the bathroom.

Once I get rid of the mold that's there (and repair any damage) what are my options? Can I just vent the fan straight through the bathroom's wall/ceiling and into the apartment? Should I have no fan at all? Dehumidifier? Help!
    Last edited by nicholas mccallin rose; 09-27-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Default Re: Unable to Vent Bathroom Fan Outside

since your ceilings are so high, how about running a sofit along the top of one of the walls, through a room and vent it outside that way. another option would be to use industrial duct and run that along the ceiling of another room and vent it outside. if you like that look you can leave it as plain steel or paint it white like the ceiling or any color you want.

If the fan is only to remove moisture from the bathroom then you can vent it to the living space. If you want the fan for odor control, then exterior venting is the only way to handle that. MLB's soffit idea would work just fine for that.

Because you mention mold and moisture issues, it leads me to believe that the primary purpose of the fan is for moisture control. As I said, you can vent that directly to the living space without any issues. Another option would be to leave the door open and run a floor or desk fan to circulate the air after using the shower/tub which is creating the excess moisture problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There's not much to add to the above answers.

If your purpose is to get rid of odors, you can instal a charcoal operated ductless vent. Available on line.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    you can instal a charcoal operated ductless vent. Available on line.
    Really? I've never seen one of those, I'll have to check them out.

That's what I love about this site, you learn something new, whether you wanted to or not!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce,

Broan makes a ductless bathroom fan that sells for about $30. Cool.

Taking shorter showers would help too.

Or sponge baths.

lol, why not just use the hose outside.....there.....problem solved

That ductless fan looks pretty interesting. Does it deal with moisture as well as odors, or just odors?

Yes, I've seen one of those charcoal ductless vent. They work well, takes of the odor, not ducts required. The charcoal takes care of the smell. Charcoal and also be used in eliminating odor inside the fridge.