+ Reply to Thread

Smile Basement Foundation Question

Does anyone know why there is a huge block around the front of my basement? How Can I get this removed, or can I remove it? I am thinking of doing something like removing half of it. It is about 3 or 4 feet high, and 3 or 4 feet out. I enclosed a photo, I have no idea where to turn to find out about this, has anyone seen this before? This house is from 1935. Thanks in advance for all who can answer this question.

I also have dips in my concrete, I am thinking of using concrete resurfacer to fix that problem.

Sorry I had to zip, I could not post a link or upload a file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Basement Foundation Question

Looks to me like someone measured wrong or added that 3 to 4 feet to the house as the foundation was being poured. I wouldn't touch it unless you have x-ray vision to see what's under there. While the front part you want to cut off may not be supporting anything above it, if they dug the footer under the part you want to cut off, then the foundation next to the cut off part isn't so well supported.

This makes me nervous.

I can't tell from the picture is that is concrete or part of a ledge.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Does the block continue past it down to a footing or does the block appear to set on the concrete.
    What's the soil like where you are? Could that be part of a foundation poured around a rock ledge?
    It could be where the proverbial bodies are buried.

it only allowed me to add tiny photos, also I could not add a link because i have not posted 10 times so far. Yes, that is how it comes out like a block going all the way around the front. It is old concrete and very crumbly. If I can't remove it, perhaps I will resurface it with contrete. If you dont know what I am talking about, picture a giant step about 3' tall, thats what it is going in a U shape around the front part of the basement. Maybe I can make closets or put a TV about this step, and use it as-is.

I put an 18" wood drill into it, seems it is mostly dirt. I am considering removing the whole block.

A better photo, sorry its blurry...

http://www.njfriends.com/basement99.jpg

This is just a wild guess, but there might have been another house on this site previously and it may have burned down or just got so dilapidated that it had to be torn down. When the new (current) house was built, the builder or owner decided to build larger but didn't feel the need to have a larger basement. I would leave it alone.

My guess is that the original basement floor was at the level of the ledge, and someone wanted to deepen it. So as not to undermine the foundation, they didn't dig up to the wall and instead boxed in the soil near the foundation.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.