Poll: Log in or register to vote for the August 2012 cover of TOH (see choices below)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Log in or register to vote for the Nov/Dec 2012 cover of This Old House magazine

I chose Cover Page D for TOH. I like the warmth it created in my mind when I first saw it.

Default Pick a Cover

I have to agree with those that are not happy with any of these covers. It seems like the same ole', same ole'...just another kitchen picture that you have put on covers forever. You need something new and inventive to draw people to want to purchase your magazine.

Default Re: Log in or register to vote for the Nov/Dec 2012 cover of This Old House magazine

None of them said "holidays" to me. B and C looked more like kitchen renovation covers. D seemed out of balance and I did not think the space looked very well-designed. By default, I picked A.

I'm a bit disappointed with these 4 choices. None of them speaks of cozy and only one, "D", of "holidays". I have already voted for #4 for that reason.
    Now, however, I feel the need to comment on where this magazine seems to be going with content in general. I have been on board almost since it's inception and the content has changed. I don't know how others feel about the content but as a long-time subscriber I am disappointed. It seemed to start out more in-line with the tv show with many articles on doing upgrades and making changes to houses and landscapes. A real "This Old House" magazine. The magazine now seems to be becoming more of a "House Beautiful" decorating booklet. There are plenty of magazines like that already on the market.
    I feel I can make these comments because I just reviewed several dozen copies of TOH from the late 90's and early 2000 and there is a BIG difference. A great amount of hands-on content was in those earlier copies. The older content is what I saw and to which I subscribed. If what I have seen during the past 12 months is what I can expect more of in the future then I will likely be dropping my subscription when it comes up for renewal.

There is nothing more inviting than a warm fireplace during winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed with these 4 choices. None of them speaks of cozy and only one, "D", of "holidays". I have already voted for #4 for that reason.
    Now, however, I feel the need to comment on where this magazine seems to be going with content in general. I have been on board almost since it's inception and the content has changed. I don't know how others feel about the content but as a long-time subscriber I am disappointed. It seemed to start out more in-line with the tv show with many articles on doing upgrades and making changes to houses and landscapes. A real "This Old House" magazine. The magazine now seems to be becoming more of a "House Beautiful" decorating booklet. There are plenty of magazines like that already on the market.
    I feel I can make these comments because I just reviewed several dozen copies of TOH from the late 90's and early 2000 and there is a BIG difference. A great amount of hands-on content was in those earlier copies. The older content is what I saw and to which I subscribed. If what I have seen during the past 12 months is what I can expect more of in the future then I will likely be dropping my subscription when it comes up for renewal.
    I have to agree with you, plus there are competing magazines with similar names/content sticking to the original concept would be a good thing to do to keep core subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by kristyk_19 View Post
    None of them say anything about holidays to me. I really think you could have done better. More of a warm glowing fire, some glowing white lights.. even if it does not say "Christmas" it can have a feeling of holiday warmth. I pick none... SO sad that now even my favorite magazine is getting rid of religion & holidays. SO SO sad.
    Since when was TOH a religious magazine?

Smile Re: Log in or register to vote for the Nov/Dec 2012 cover of This Old House magazine

It takes me a day or two to vote for these covers. First I take a quick look at each one then leave the page. I do my usual things then sleep on it. The second day the right answer comes to me and I vote.
    I appreciate being asked to vote and will give it my best judgement every time.
    Cheers, Chief.

They're all nice but A shows a really nice dining area which I think is the most appealing!

Love that kitchen, but the roaring fire makes it cozy and warm!