+ Reply to Thread

Default Mixing brands of paint

Can different brands of latex paint be mixed together? I have some cans of leftover paint that I would like to mix and use on the inside walls of my garage. I am not particular about the color.

Thanks.

Mel

Default Re: Mixing brands of paint

Yes, as long as it's all latex you will be fine. It would also be best to make sure they're all the same sheen or else you'll have a real pain to get a color match when you run a quart short of finishing the job. Garage or not, you don't want splotchy walls.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The sheens are compatible too. The end result sheen will depend on which was used in the greater amount. It you mix the batch up thoroughly, it will not be blotchy.

In the early days of latex paints, some actually had natural latex resins in them. When intermixed, you would often end up with cottage cheese Fortunately,to my knowledge, true latexes havenīt been on the market for 50 years. I havenīt had such a compatibility problem in years!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    The sheens are compatible too. The end result sheen will depend on which was used in the greater amount. It you mix the batch up thoroughly, it will not be blotchy.
    Actually, I meant that when you go to the store to get that extra quart that you were short, a mix-mash of sheens will make it nearly impossible to duplicate, leaving a blotch of the new paint over the remnants paint.

This happened when I painted my garage, I was short just ever so much. I opted to buy two gallons and recoat the entire garage, rather than have a weird wall or blotch between the new/old paints.

Other than that, mix whatever sheens together that you like, it makey no difference!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I used to do it when I was a poor landlord, but I never liked the idea.

How much are you going to get out of your leftovers? a couple of gallons? Not worth the effort.

Just think about what the two gentlemen wrote above.

Just another point to add: in my city, you can't dispose old paint in the trash - you have to take it to a special collection center. Check with your city hall.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    How much are you going to get out of your leftovers? a couple of gallons? Not worth the effort.

Just think about what the two gentlemen wrote above.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Just another point to add: in my city, you can't dispose old paint in the trash - you have to take it to a special collection center. Check with your city hall.
    I always follow the label, which is generally 300 square feet per gallon (give or take ). As long as the quantity of paint will be MORE than twice the estimated square feet (aloting for two coats ), then there is no harm no foul in mixing leftover remnants. If your estimate is going to fall short, go buy whatever quantity will get you to your goal and mix that in with your remnants as well and you will be fine.

Correct, most places now-a-days considers latex paint as a hazardous substance, so disposal requires taking it to a certified recycling facility. Personally, I think mixing and using the remnants in your garage is a good idea, but keep in mind that neutral colors prevail in the home sales market. If your resultant color is going to be anything other than white or off white/beige, then do yourself a favor and recycle the remnants. It will save you money in the long run by not having to repaint the garage later, especially if you have to stain seal some hideous color in order to cover it with a more neutral tone.

For the last 8 years I have been painting over the graffiti in my neighborhood, covering 13 square miles of my fair city. We use donated latex paint.

To get neighborhood appropriate colors, we blend cans of latex paint together. Avoid dark red and black. They are the kiss of death when mixing. Black will make any mixture grey, no matter how much more paint you add. Red seems to have nearly the same lingering effect unless you add a strong green to it.

Sheen is important unless you blend so much paint you have extra.

Back in the days before color tinting machines, we always made plenty of the batch. If you ran out, it took an awful lot of time to duplicate the color by eye.

Here in Portland, there is an outfit called Metro that recycles old paint. I donīt have a clue how they determine what goes in what, but they manage to come up with a few standard colors and sheens

In the State of Oregon, the cost of every can of new paint contains an amount that goes toward the recycling of the left overs. There are state wide pick-up centers, usually paint and hardware stores. There is no additional charge to the person dropping off paint.

There is one other way to get rid of paint. There is a powder that rapidly changes the paint to cottage cheese and solidifies it within a couple hours. It then can be put in the regular garbage. Most paint stores sell this powder.

I would agree with Houston about tinting with black. Over the years, I have screwed more custom mixed colors up with lamp black than any other tint. It dulls immediately and it cannot be un-dulled! It also darkens rapidly. The primary colors can be countered with their opposite on the color wheel, but dull is forever dull.

Black will also rapidly make any of the yellow family take on a distinct green look. There are many dusty greens on the color chart that you would swear had green in them, only to find that they contain only lamp black and yellow