+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior Flourescent fixture keeps blowing bulbs

I have several exterior flourescent fixtures that are all the same so I'm guessing they're all the same age (i.e. installed at the same time). One of the six fixtures blows every new bulb I try to install. I've tried replacing the starter as well but it still blows bulbs as soon as I flip the switch. Does anyone know the cause and a possible fix?

Thanks

Default Re: Exterior Flourescent fixture keeps blowing bulbs

Because you have a starter I suspect the fixture is the old style T12 type and new ballast will no longer be available.

Rather than pour money into it I would suggest replacing them with the newer T8 or T5 fixtures having electronic ballasts.

Be sure they're rated for damp locations and you have a ground wire attached to them, not just #14 or #12 romex without a ground.

These will start in cold weather,be safer, cost less to run and will be supported with spare parts.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thanks, but these are a small flourescent fixtures, they use the FUL-12W/41K lamps. Does your comment still apply?

Quote Originally Posted by studyingtobehandy View Post
    Thanks, but these are a small flourescent fixtures, they use the FUL-12W/41K lamps. Does your comment still apply?
    Yes, they're even older and more prone to failure than the T12's
    I thought you had. You really do need fixtures rated for "damp" locations and have "electronic" ballasts.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content