+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot water circulation problem

I live in a 1 1/2 story Cape Cod with the hot water tank in the basement. It has a cold water inlet and a hot water outlet from the top of the tank which theoretically circulates the hot water and returns it to the bottom of the tank to be reheated and circulated again. It worked just fine until I had to replace the tank. Since then I run gallons of water at my second floor sink or shower before I have hot water. Theoretically, since hot water rises and cold water drops, I should immediately have hot water when I first open the faucet. I suspect it's an air block, but I don't know how to resolve it. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Hot water circulation problem

This could be that the plastic DIP TUBE inside the tank has come loose (or cracked) & has fallen to the bottom of the tank.

The dip tube directs the incoming cold water down to the bottom of the tank where it can be heated and prevents it from mixing with the hot water at the top of the tank.

Check out the site below to see if they have a procedure for checking/replacing the dip tube---click onto site map, then on to tanklets.

You would have to turn off the power supply to the HWH & shut off the incoming cold water supply valve before attempting to service the HWH---lift the little lever on the T&P valve to relieve any tank pressure.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 04-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.

[QUOTE=jhelsel;53296]I live in a 1 1/2 story Cape Cod with the hot water tank in the basement. It has a cold water inlet and a hot water outlet from the top of the tank which theoretically circulates the hot water and returns it to the bottom of the tank to be reheated and circulated again. It worked just fine until I had to replace the tank. Since then I run gallons of water at my second floor sink or shower before I have hot water. Theoretically, since hot water rises and cold water drops, I should immediately have hot water when I first open the faucet. I suspect it's an air block, but I don't know how to resolve it. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE
    I take it this recirc line doent have a pump on it? Is there any way you can post a picure? That would help tremendously.

You are right, there is no pump involved and, unfortunately, no way to take a photo of the system since it is in the walls. It is strictly a gravity system. That's what makes me think it is an air block problem. I drained the entire system (including the tank) and refilled everything with all faucets open. It still doesn't work. Any other thoughts? Thanks. Oops! I forgot to mention that I do have immediate hot water at the kitchen sink, but not in the powder room which is only 10 feet away and nowhere else in the house.