+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nail gun for sheathing

I was wondering if anyone could make a suggestion on a nail gun used for installing sheathing. I have been hammering in 6d nails that last two days and it already is getting old. I am not even 1/3 through the job. Plus I think new siding may be in my future...further justifying the nail gun. I have been considering this unit

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Bostit.../dp/B003SEGL6W

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Nail gun for sheathing

Stick nailers are a bit easier to use that coil nailers, and I believe the loads are a little cheaper too. Bostitch also tends to be an expensive load, as I recall, good gun but expensive loads.

Whatever you buy, if you intend to use it for siding, then you'll definitely need to get one that has the rubber foot attachment. This prevents damage to finished surfaces. If you were to use a framing nailer like I do for roof sheathing, you'll have claw marks all over the place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hey Spruce,

What brand of nail gun do you recommend? BTW...what is a stick gun....does this mean the nails come in the from of a stick as opposed to a coil?

-Walt

I discovered this model from HD ****** for $90

NuMax Pneumatic Strip 21-Degree Full Head Framing Nailer

Any thoughts on this one? It gets good reviews...if on-line reviews mean anything.

I am not sure what brand/size of nails would work with it.

-Walt

I have and love my Senco guns. I don't know if they have a sheathing/siding gun or not.

You are correct, stick gun refers to straight collated nails as opposed to coil guns that use coils of nails. Sticks are easier and faster to load and they're not as bulky in the hand when you use them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

another thing with bostich guns is that usually they can only shoot bostich nails because of the angle of the gun

also, stick nailers are lighter, roughly 2 or 3 pounds

the gun of choice for most framers is the older style hitachi's or the paslode powermaster
    fire up the saw and make some dust

My Paslode is over 15 yrs old and working just fine. Been rebuilt a few times but that's expected. We use it for framing and sheathing.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    another thing with bostich guns is that usually they can only shoot bostich nails because of the angle of the gun
    I meant to add this part too. That's part of what makes the loads so expensive, you can only use Bostich brand and not generic brands.

regarding this also.. one thing that irritates me is paslode galvanized spikes.. their not the correct angle for any brand.. i hate using them as its a damn near impossible to properly place a toenailed galvy spike compared to the normal ones
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I like my Paslode. I think it is better for a DIYer because there is no air hose or compressor to deal with so you can pull it out and use it if you only have a few nails to drive.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb