this issue is very common with old homes.. its a combination of irregular settling, differences in joist material width along with the crown alternating. , it can be fixed any number of ways from sistering new joists along side with glue and screws keeping them flush or sistering 3/4" plywood on both sides, some joists can be so bad they need a relief cut in them to straigten them out then sistering new joists to them