+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Post Help with wavy floors!?

I live in a 100 year old house with very wavy floors on the first (ground) floor. There is a bit of slope in the kitchen, living room, and hallway connecting the two. In the worst areas, there might be a gradual change of roughly 2" across 10 feet, from the one side of my living room to the front exterior wall. The high point is directly over a brick column in the basement and the low point is on the front exterior wall. The beam is approx. a 6x8 wooden beam with visible bend in it in the basement and joists run perpendicular to the direction of the slope.

I have owned the house for about 5 years and I don't believe much, if any, additional drop of the front exterior wall has happened, though I think the front porch (near that wall) has had some sinking in that time (or I'm just noticing it more now).

The house has plank subfloors and very thin (~3/8" thick solid oak flooring on top, almost as a veneer). I would like to replace the flooring with new hardwood or laminate, but I really want to address this slope first, if only to make it less pronounced.

I had a structural engineer check out the situation about a year ago and he said everything looks structurally ok in the basement and with the beam. He recommended putting a few lally posts in certain spots in the basement, but said it isn't anything to worry about. He did say that trying to jack up the beam and joists too much could cause the beam to crack, so that could be tricky.

Can you possibly make some suggestions on how I can reduce this slope? So far, I have been mulling over a few options:

1. Getting a contractor to place jack posts and slowly raise the front wall to at least reduce the drop (though not sure what that would cost or involve - any idea?), or

2. Trying to remove the subfloor section by section, shimming the joists, and putting down new plywood subfloors, if only in the worst sections.

I am a pretty capable DIYer and I think I would be fully capable of doing a decent job with the #2 suggestion, but I'm not sure it is the best solution. Again, I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Default Re: Help with wavy floors!?

this issue is very common with old homes.. its a combination of irregular settling, differences in joist material width along with the crown alternating. , it can be fixed any number of ways from sistering new joists along side with glue and screws keeping them flush or sistering 3/4" plywood on both sides, some joists can be so bad they need a relief cut in them to straigten them out then sistering new joists to them
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Help with wavy floors!?

I can't say much for the engineer, but if your floors are sagging and there has been foundation settling, then the building isn't structurally OK. It apparently needs some work. Get a framing contractor in there to take a look and discuss options. Jacking up a beam that is undersized isn't a long term solution. As mentioned above, sistering the old joists with new, straight ones would do a lot of good. A well developed plan of attack is a great place to start. You don't have to do it all at once if there are budget constrictions.