+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electrolysis

Angry electrolysis

I am getting pinhole leaks in my water pipes and noticed my ground from my electrical box goes directly to my copper pipes. How do I correct this? Help..

Default Re: electrolysis

Need more information.

Do you have ground rods?

Are the pinhole leaks only at the connection of the ground wire(s)?

Do you have a well?

And if you do, have you had the water tested and do you get air in the water lines?

1. Call an electrician to install a copper rod for grounding from the panel.

2. Your pinholes in your plumbing could be the result of other factors, so call a plumber for that. If you have in slab pipes, you may need to re-pipe. Now that's no fun.

I can't find the ground rods.

Well water and no air in the pipes.

The pin holes are occurring in the 2nd story of the house and the ground is connected in the basement. Water comes in the house via PVC from the well and after water softener it converts to copper.

Thanks for advice.

The pinholes could be the result of sediments and other things in the water.

Re-pipe and install a whole house filter, if you don't have one.

The water pipes should be grounded, but they should not be the ground. You need ground rods and they should be located either just below your meter or just below your CB panel.

Have you had your water tested, especially for pH. I am also on a well and my pH is 5.5 so I have converted my plumbing all to PVC and CPVC. My copper pipes had pinhole leaks too, but I also had air in my water due to a bad check valve and a crake in the downpipe in the well.

If the incoming pipe is pvc, then your pipes aren't grounded. You need a ground rod or two.

Often times pin hoes are caused by the over use of solder flux during installation.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You need a ground rod. If your well supply comes in through plastic, then you don't even have a ground. Regardless, nothing whould be grounded to the water. In the past, water supplys were used for a convienent ground, but today more nad more, plastic is used in water systems. Every electrical service should have a proper ground rod, not the water line. In some cases one may not wven be sufficient. Contact a competent electrician.

Other places to check are any D.C. connections. For example if you have an alarm system grounded to the water, that will often cause damage much quicker than A.C.
    Waste not, want not.
    Use it up. Wear it out. Make it due, or due without.