+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing flourescent light in manufactured home

Want to install a flourescent light in a manufactured home and interested in doing the job correctly. The fixture which holds the flourescent is in fact a junction box unlike what you would find in a stick built house. In this junction box are the wires for two outlets and one switch along with a red wire which acts as a switch leg. Three black wires together and three white wires together and this separate red wire.
    My plan is to connect the black wire from the light to the red wire and the white wire from the light to the three white wires and the ground to ground. I understand that a stick built house is 'wired' differently. However, in manufactured homes this manner of wiring is done at the factory. All I am trying to accomplish is connecting to the right wires to ensure the light works properly. Appreciate your help. JSB

Default Re: Installing flourescent light in manufactured home

You have to verify where the red is coming from and where it's going.

How do you want your new fixture controlled? a wall switch? a built in switch with a rope/chain?

JSB, is there a black wire from the light going to the switch? Or, is that the red wire you speak of?

You need: 1) a ground to the light 2: a white wire to the light 3: a black wire to the switch 4: a wire (red will do, just not a white or bare or green) from the switch to the black on the light.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I've considered this installation at length and realize the following. Correct me where I am wrong. The light is going to work off a wall switch. I will connect the the white from the light to the white in the junction box. I will connect the black from the light to the red in the junction box. I will connect the ground from the junction box to the ground on the light. When all is said and done I believe the light will work as it should. Thanks dj and semi-retired appreciate you following up on this project. Let me know if I skipped a beat, please. psaltee

Wink Re: Installing flourescent light in manufactured home

Quote Originally Posted by psaltee View Post
    I've considered this installation at length and realize the following. Correct me where I am wrong. The light is going to work off a wall switch. I will connect the the white from the light to the white in the junction box. I will connect the black from the light to the red in the junction box. I will connect the ground from the junction box to the ground on the light. When all is said and done I believe the light will work as it should. Thanks dj and semi-retired appreciate you following up on this project. Let me know if I skipped a beat, please. psaltee
    Yes wht in JB to white in the light.

Yes, black in the light to the red IF it connects to one of the switch terminals.

Yes, ground in JB to ground in light.

Now, verify a black is connected to the other switch terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by psaltee View Post
    Yes to white.

Yes to red, if it conrcts to one of the switch terminals.

Only thing left..verify a hot wire (usually black) is connected to the other switch terminal.