+ Reply to Thread

Default removing burn marks on linoleum floors

What is a quick, temporary way to fix/remove burn marks and tears on linoleum floors?

Default Re: removing burn marks on linoleum floors

cut out the damaged area and replace with a matching piece of linoleum....if it's a tear and the piece is still there they sell a linoleum/vinyl seam sealer.

In my opinion, if the burn or cut are in a visible area, you won't be happy with a repair. BTW, how did it get a burn mark?

If you're a perfectionist, replace the floor.

Thanks for the responses. My husband and I are both perfectionists and we do plan on replacing the floor. It just has to wait until next year. We had a minor incident with our wood stove. Most of the marks are just small spots, but there is one that is about the size of a half dollar coin.

We will need to see if the original owner of the house left some extra pieces. If so, we will go with that suggestion for now. Do we use the seam sealer to attach the new piece as well?

Thanks again!

lay the replacement piece over the existing floor and match up the pattern. use a new blade on a utility knife or an exacto-knife and cut a square that goes through both pieces so that they match up exactly. remove the burnt section. apply some vinyl flooring adhesive to the patch and fit it in. the following day when the adhesive is dry, use the seam sealer to go over the cut lines.

My suggestion; an area rug.

Keep it out of mind until you're ready to replace the flooring. Putting cash into a temporary fix only delays the permanent fix.

You can patch it, but it may not look good. I would put a small rug over it until you are ready to replace the entire floor. No use in thorwing away money on a patch that may not look good.