+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 35,000+ Gallons / Day is washing away the soil under my basement

Hello...

I have a problem, and rather than type it all out, I created a blog with video explaining the problem:

http://www.scottssumppump.com

Cliff note version -

- house is 4 years old, had mostly dry basement for the first 2 years
    - added on to the sub, water started coming in like a firehose one day
    - Tried to ignore for a while, thought is was a wet winter (:P)
    - noticed basement floor was hollowing out after a year (and many sump pumps)
    - soil around the house starting to sink (can't ignore any longer)
    - everyone says, "you have a problem on your hands!" (really?!?)

Please, if you have some time, please view and let me know your thoughts... I have documented the best I can and I just need help.

Default Re: 35,000+ Gallons / Day is washing away the soil under my basement

***! You're right, that's way too much water for it not to be a problem.

My first question is if any of your neighbors are having water problems or if you're the only one. It would seem odd that neighbors aren't having similar issues. It also wasn't clear by the Google Earth shot where your house is located in relation to the rest of the development OR in relation to the additional homes recently added to the development. If the problem didn't start until after the new construction started, it's possible that a natural aquifer has been diverted by road construction or other infrastructure installation.

There's got to be a city/county/state environmental, water, or geology department that would take an interest.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Because the sink hole is in the back of the house that would suggest to me that that is the direction of the water flow. From your video it looks like you have a storm sewer running behind you house. I'm wondering if it may be leaking and you are just recycling the water from it.

A second possibility, I notice there seems to be a couple of large ponds in the field below your house in the picture. They may be spring fed and the spring has shifted toward your house. You might want to check with your Dept. of Natural Resources they generally have ground water mapping and information.

You definitely have a problem because you basement floor is not built as a bridge deck and hydroponic action on the foundation can cause it to cave in,.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Howdy, great video, man you have a big problem. I am surprised the floor has not collapsed into the void yet...
    I have only handled one claim remotely similar to yours. There the home happened to be over a underground stream bed that only had running water when it rained very heavy about 10 miles away. The neighbors homes were 8 feet from this house but they never had any water issues. A soils engineer is needed and they will likely have a hydrological engineer consult. It would be wrong to give you false hope of any homeowners insurance coverage for your issue.
    If your home owners insurance will sell yo u a sump pump endorsement buy ones asap to broden you coverage. The crack in the foundation is likly from soils not bearing the weight.
    Moving the down spouts is a great idea if you didnot have the huge void and water issue but you are well beyond down spout discharge.
    There is soil re stabilization coverage in most home insurance but the coverage is limited and only applies if an underlying covered peril causes the damage.

Thanks for the responses:

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    My first question is if any of your neighbors are having water problems or if you're the only one. It would seem odd that neighbors aren't having similar issues.
    It is only the 4 houses that I had highlighted in blue on the update video. I am the upper right house with the red x on it, which is two lots away from the newer development.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    From your video it looks like you have a storm sewer running behind you house. I'm wondering if it may be leaking and you are just recycling the water from it.
    If I follow that (the one my sump dumps too) storm drain, you can definitely see the flow is going out.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    A soils engineer is needed and they will likely have a hydrological engineer consult. It would be wrong to give you false hope of any homeowners insurance coverage for your issue.
    The insurance company already said any fix will NOT be covered, which I'm fine with... They are however paying do determine the problem, and they send out a soil engineer... BUT, he hasn't really done anything. Came out, took pics, said he would do some core samples... but had no real suggestions.

Again, thanks for the responses... I'm trying to find ways to really nail down this issue.

Move............

and just who in their right mind would buy my house.

Quote Originally Posted by scottaubuchon View Post
    and just who in their right mind would buy my house.

There are many, like me, who are not in their right minds.

Scott,
    In looking at your high resolution picture and drawing storm.png it looks to me like there were 2 ponds in the field directly above your subdivision that are now dry. There is a little water at the end of the one and a washout near where the electric goes underground (I assume the "E" line is electric). It is possible the the excavation for the electric redirected the flow, possibly a spring, down to the excavation of the storm line which ends behind your house and it worked its way toward your basement. I would suggest you check with that land owner to see if those ponds had water before the subdivision was put in. If this is the case it may be the liability of the developer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack...

Actually the (E) with the yellow line was the existing clay farmer / field tile.

I noticed those two ponds as well... I'm going to a company called Mersino (pumping, dewatering - http://www.mersino.com) and see if I can't bug one of their engineers to come take a look.

I updated the image with a legend: storm.jpg
    Last edited by scottaubuchon; 04-20-2009 at 09:17 AM.