+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vinyl siding

Default vinyl siding

Hi,

I want to find out what is the proper/best way to replace current siding with vinyl:

1. remove all existing old siding, repair any rotten damage, put on a new layer of water barrier and then install vinyl siding.

2. same as #1 except put on a layer of 3/8" foam board before installing vinyl siding.

3. repair any rotten damage, put on a 1/4" foam board on top of the original siding and then install vinyl siding.

Please advise.

Best regards,
    tohd

Default Re: vinyl siding

Choose 1 or 2.

Hi dj1,

Would you mind to give me some details explaination why you did not choose 3 or why 1 or 2 is superior than 3? I appreciate.

Best regards,
    tohd

Hi dj1,

Thank you so much for your reply. Would you mind to give detailed explaination why you did not choose 3 or why 1 or 2 is superior to 3? I appreciate.

Best regards,
    tohd

Option 4 - Don't do it at all! Your money would be better spent to repair what you have or change it to another suitable, durable material. Vinyl really isn't a good choice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Go with Spruce's advice and upgrade to a better siding. I presently have Hardi Plank on my house and have been pleased with it.

I donīt know the purpose of the thin foam board. Its insul**** value is almost nothing. With a good vapor retardant barrier such as Tyvek, it should serve no purpose. Were it mine, however, I would mount it to thin batten strips on top of the barrier to allow for air circulation and possible water run off. They have had some problems with with cement board when mounted directly to Tyvek in this harse Pacific North-West Coastal climate.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Option 4 - Don't do it at all! Your money would be better spent to repair what you have or change it to another suitable, durable material. Vinyl really isn't a good choice.
    In your opinion, what is a durable material? For the vinyl, there is a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Is this not sufficient? Please advise.

Best regards,
    tohd

Quote Originally Posted by tohd View Post
    In your opinion, what is a durable material? For the vinyl, there is a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Is this not sufficient? Please advise.

Best regards,
    tohd
    It would really depend on the demands of your environment, though just about decent type of siding will do just fine as long as you maintain it properly, meaning keep it caulked and painted.

Warranties are written to the favor of the manufacturer, which means that there is all kinds of wiggle room for them to deny a claim, even IF you are successful, they typically only replace material, not the labor to install it nor the repair of damage.

If you search the TOH forum for vinyl siding, you'll find that there are few who recommend its use. It really is a poor choice of siding.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

option 5 ,
    dont waste your money on 3/8 foam and put 1" on. by doing so you will actually gain some insulation value, 3/8 does nothing for r-value
    fire up the saw and make some dust