+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Do I really need a whole new shower? My contractor says so..

Hey Everybody,

Our shower leaks into our crawl space. It does have a crack in the grout but the contractor said that if it is leaking into the crawl space the shower pan is bad. 'A shower pan should never leak.' So I need to have a new shower pan made and re-tile the entire shower floor. Please tell me if this is necessarily true. Our bath is really outdated and I'd like to redo everything once we have enough money.

Thanks!

Kristy in Charleston

Thanks A. Spruce! I have a tiled shower floor & walls. So does that mean I can't just re-grout the crack, replace the subfloor from underneath & save my shower? I have no idea what a 'shower pan' consists of. I think it would be a year before I'd like to tackle the job..since I'd really like to relocate the shower to make it bigger and combine 2 vanities into one. The bad part is that the tiles outside my shower creak now a bit every time we step on them..the subfloor is going to need to be replaced soon. Thanks for all advice!
    Last edited by kristyk_19; 04-19-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: More info.

Default Re: Do I really need a whole new shower? My contractor says so..

Continued leakage to the sub-area will only cause more damage to the sub-area framing, as well as introduce unwanted moisture to the crawl area.

You don't say if this is a tiled pan or fiberglass. A fiberglass pan can be refinished, caulking can be replaced, and grout can be regrouted. The question is, whether the cost of this is worth it. Would the money be better spent going towards a complete redo of the shower.

How long until you can afford to do the project properly (total replacement )? Can you stop using this shower and use another in the house until you can afford the remodel?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Oh boy.....

one way to make sure the pan is leaking, is to put a stopper of some sort in the drain, then put about an inch of water in the shower and see if it leaks.

I would purchase another shower before causing more damage to the floor and other parts of your bathroom.
    Looking for high quality Hidden Content for my new home.