+ Reply to Thread

Default High pitched noise

I have an old medicine cabinet with fluorescent lights attached and it has an outlet on it. I keep a little 4 watt nightlight plugged in to that outlet, which stays on all night. Two nights ago around 3am, a high pitched noise woke me out of a sound sleep and I traced it to the fixture, turned off the nightlight and it stopped. Last night it started at 2am again. This time, turning off the nightlight didn't do it. I stripped the fixture - lightbulbs, starters and turned off the power switch on the side of the unit and it would not stop. I wanted to flip the breaker, but they aren't marked (100 yr old house)so I didn't want to mess with things. It finally stopped on its' own around an hour later. Do these old units have ballasts, other than the little starters for each lamp? What else could it be?

Default Re: High pitched noise

it's the ballast

There have been lots of problems (fires) associated with nightlights, scented lights etc. Almost none of them are "listed" or made in this country.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

If it's the ballast, where is it located? Do I have to take down the whole cabinet? I did remove the nightlight and it hasn't made the sound again. Hopefully it was just that.

Quote Originally Posted by catherinehines View Post
    If it's the ballast, where is it located? Do I have to take down the whole cabinet? I did remove the nightlight and it hasn't made the sound again. Hopefully it was just that.
    If the sound is gone the problem has probably gone too.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content