+ Reply to Thread

Default antique storm windows

I bought a 98 year old house last fall.In the garage attic I found a bunch of old storm windows, my question is what to do with them, seems a waste to just pitch them.

Default Re: antique storm windows

If your house has the original windows (i.e., the old storms fit), rehab them and use them! Many experts agree that properly rehabbed old windows are almost as energy efficient as new replacement windows, and they preserve the architectural integrity of your home.

If you can't use the old storms, try Craig's List or Freecycle to find someone who will use them.

Throw them away. All old houses had custom windows and it is extremely unlikely that your storms will fit someone's window frames. You can't sell them or even give them away. 90% of old house owners have long since replace their old storms with aluminum storms and screens. You can even get them in custom colors or paint them yourself to match the house trim. I hated to throw a lot of mine away but bit the bullet and did it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTCB View Post
    Throw them away. All old houses had custom windows and it is extremely unlikely that your storms will fit someone's window frames. You can't sell them or even give them away. 90% of old house owners have long since replace their old storms with aluminum storms and screens. You can even get them in custom colors or paint them yourself to match the house trim. I hated to throw a lot of mine away but bit the bullet and did it.
    I recently purchased a table saw, router & I am collecting old hardware to build wooden storms for my place.

Keep them, strip & reglaze them, and thank the long-gone PO's for stashing them away for you.

There is much to be said for something that has already lasted through 3 generations. Leave the aluminum for the McMansion-ites.
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content