+ Reply to Thread

Talking New pedestal sink, very old plumbing

I just bought a very old home. The bathroom is extremely small so to give it a little more room I thought I would install a pedelstal sink in there. My problem is the plumbing does not go into the wall. It comes up from the floor so the P trap is making the sink set out 2 inches from the wall. It's unsafe and also doesn't give much room in front of the toilet.

Is there any way besides moving the plumbing to the wall that I can get the sink to set back against the wall?

Thanks for the advice if there is any.

Default Re: New pedestal sink, very old plumbing

Could you tell us what's on the other side of the wall (the wall you're trying to get close to).

In other words, plumbing for the kitchen sink is very often installed on the same wall as the bathroom plumbing; it's just that the bathroom plumbing is in the bathroom & the kitchen sink plumbing is in the kitchen, but they share the same wall.

If this is the situation in your case, you can use a hole saw (used to cut a hole in doors for a keyset) to cut a 2" hole right thru the bathroom wall so it goes under the kitchen sink into the kitchen cabinet, & you can connect up with the kitchen sink drain.

However, before you start this, shut off any electrical supplies to the bathroom & kitchen sink areas; also temporarily shut off any water supplies to the same area, in the event you accidently cut into something with the saw; cut carefully, especially when first going into the wall cavity initially.

Instead of a pedastal sink, you might install a "hung" bathroom sink; this is hung on the bathroom wall using a heavy steel bracket; this would give you more foot room in the bathroom.

The hole saws come in various diameters, & are available at the big box stores.

If you have under-floor access to the bathroom, the sink can actually be relocated anywhere in the bathroom (if it will help matters to move it elsewhere; this requires moving the mirror/medicine cabinet as well, though, if it's now installed over the sink).

If you can draw a diagram of your present bathroom setup, & post it with your comments, it would help a great deal.

Sometimes it's possible to extend the wall near the entryway to the bathroom in order to make the bathroom slightly larger; it often takes little more than a minimum amount of 2 X 4 framing, sheetrock & matching wall finishing to match the present bathroom colors & finish.

I've had to do just about ALL of the above things when I bought my present house years ago; the bathroom was so small with the fixtures so cramped together, that I had to make the needed changes that would allow access; there are local codes that dictate how much clearance room must exist between the various fixtures & the bathroom door.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 09-07-2007 at 10:58 PM.