+ Reply to Thread

Default Re-wire the entire house?

Hello!

My wife are considering restoring an old house, maybe built in the early 1920s. They style is very similar to the American Foursquare. We would move the house to a new location.

Here's the question: should we re-wire the entire house? And along with that, should we take down all the plaster in order to make the process easier? Now, the plaster is in great shape overall - hardly any cracks. We don't know if the house is insulated, which would be another reason we might want to take down the plaster.

If it makes a difference, the house has not been heated for about six years (We live in northern Iowa with very cold winters).

Default Re: Re-wire the entire house?

having an electrician look at what you have for wiring would be a good start. he could tell you if it's worth redoing.

I would say rewire if it hasn't been done since it was built. Modern wiring is needed to bring it to code which will no doubt be required to get service in the new location, Plus the possible addition of grounds, and circuit of adequate size for modern living. Re plumbing may also be needed especially if it was left unheated with any water in the lines or if it is old galvanized piping.

Rewiring and insulation can be done without a full gut and I prefer plaster walls over drywall.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I agree with all of the above. You can rewire and bring the place up to code AND save the plaster.

Thanks for the input! Are there ways to determine the state of the wiring myself? There is no electricity in the house currently, and I see that there is insulation on the attic floor preventing me from seeing the wires at all... I'd just hate to start ripping things out if I don't have to!

First pull some receptacles and see if they are grounded, if not old wiring. Check main panel to see what kind of wiring is used there, a good indication would be multiple type of wiring or cloth covered wiring. Check the main, if less than 100 amp chances are you have old wiring.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

my dear brother, you must concern on changing the wires of your house in my opinion as your house is quite old there might be chance of some accidents. So better to avoid them you should go for changing the wires.

Smile Re: Re-wire the entire house?

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerNeal View Post
    I see that there is insulation on the attic floor preventing me from seeing the wires at all...

If it is old K&T wiring then insulation is a no no and might be a fire hazard. I'm in the middle of replacing all of my old wiring too and yes it can be a hassle at times, but this is about doing what is best for the house, not what is convenient. Once you dig in it's not as bad as you think. In any case if it is old wiring then it really needs to be done. You don't want to have the old wiring cause a fire because then you'll regret not replacing it when you had a chance.

I would suggest you to prefer any electrician as he may have the perfect idea about it. If you are going to do it yourself, pay attention upon the proper wire connection, to avoid any short circuit.

I agree with all of the above