+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Tankless water heaters

I am in the decision process of building a new home with 4 baths. I am undecided on what source of propane-fired water heating system eg. conventional tanked vs tankless (on-demand)to have installed. Any feedback on which would be the best choice and why would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by LOUIS9630; 09-18-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: forgot source of fuel for waterheater

Default Re: Tankless water heaters

If you go tankless, make sure that the gas line into your house is large enough to supply gas to the water heaters and the HVAC (and stove if so powered also) at the same time, otherwise nothing works.

Quote Originally Posted by LOUIS9630 View Post
    I am in the decision process of building a new home with 4 baths. I am undecided on what source of propane-fired water heating system eg. conventional tanked vs tankless (on-demand)to have installed. Any feedback on which would be the best choice and why would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Tank-less heaters are not very reliable or cost effective. But don't just take my word. Do a search on tank-less here and other plumbing sites.

John

Both suggestions are very good.

let me add: with 4 bathrooms, an on demand unit will get an F.

You need: at least 2 conventional propane 50 gallon tank water heaters. Talk to experienced plumbers and they will tell you the same thing.

I have a tankless at my own home they are not on demand it takes about 20 seconds longer to get hot water vs a tank, tankless if installed correctly with the correct brand or manufacture and to the specs it demands our great and have endless hot water and have great warranties but you must have a softener and still flush it yearly with vinegar now with all that said the downfalls.

Tank
    Works when power is out, you have water storage incase of emergency, you know what your getting and what to expect, no need for increased size of gas line or regulators, cheaper upfront but not in the long haul tankless will pay for itself in about 10 years here in Utah and will still have much life in it left and if needs to be replaced in future 20+ years its all piped and ready to be replaced much easier than tank but still more money for unit.
    guarantee shorter, lifespan shorter, efficenty is only about a third when I had tank I was paying $15 a month in Utah for natural gas I now pay about $6-9 depending on our water usage

Tankless cost much more upfront, without a recirc pump you have to wait a long time for hot water, if the power is out you have no hot water.

If tankless is installed correctly which only about 40% of them our they work great but only real disadvantages our waiting for hot water if no recirc pump and if power is out.

I personally love mine and wouldn't go back to tank I can fill my large jacuzzi tub no problem I can do everything and anything without running out of hot water and don't ever have to worry about the pilot light being blown out etc..

Benjamin Franklin Plumbing
    153 Garden Park, Orem, UT 84057
    (801) 960-1565

Thank you for your response and opinion. I appreciate it.

I spent a lot of time looking into natural gas tankless for my own 2 bedroom home. Aside from the factors mentioned, we live in South Texas and the HWH is in the attic. This means we get hot water for free most months of the year as the attic averages well over 120F on a sunny Texas day. Plus we have hot water during hurricanes.