+ Reply to Thread

Default Need recommendations for fast growing privacy trees/hedges

I'm looking to plant something along a property line. Looking for something that grows fast, doesn't require much water and that looks nice. Would prefer it to grow tall versus wide.

Thx in advance for any ideas.

Default Re: Need recommendations for fast growing privacy trees/hedges

You may want to look at cypress. They are not particularly fast growing, but they do get very tall and they don't have a lot of girth. Plant them 3' to 4' apart and you'll have a solid barrier in a few years. The ones I had were probably about 8' to 10' tall when I bought the property and 10 years later they were over the ridge of the two story house.

Google: Italian cypress
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Italian Cypresses are great as 'fences', but they are a bad idea in fire zones. I like them too though.

Another option is Oleander. Do some research at some local growers, I'm sure you'll find what you need and like.

Steve,

You have every right to increase your privacy or improve the appearance of your property by putting up property line trees, or, for example, a 6' fence of wood or white vinyl; but where trees or evergreens are concerned, it pays to be careful & get some free advice from one or two local landscaping contractors, who will come over free of charge & give you several suggestions that are in line with your needs.

I say it pays to be careful, because trees/evergreens have a habit of growing & growing without the homeowner even realizing it as the years fly by-----this can cause problems with constant maintenance (someone has to regularly trim the trees), & most trees/evergreens look out of place on a residential property if they exceed 6' ; another real problem can be caused by the ever-expanding root system of live trees----any nearby sewer/septic system lines can be invaded by the root systems that constantly look for moisture, involving an expensive repair, & often a cutting down of the trees in that area.

The goal, then, is three-fold----increase your privacy, and improve the appearance of the property, but select those trees that grow slowly & have a "programmed height" that they reach that will not exceed 6' or so-----this is not easy, many evergreens that are sold by unknowledgeable clerks at HD/Lowe's are programmed to grow 30' or more---so it is imperative to buy trees that indicate on the attached tag their maximum growth (which is most cases should be no more than 6')---also take into consideration recommended trees for your geographical area/climate, & the amount of sun/water that the trees require.

Aside from HD/Lowe's, also check out local tree nurseries (Yellow Pages)---they have slow-growing trees/evergreens, like arborvitae, that are already 5' to 6' that won't grow any higher----this gets rid of the big pain in the neck of having to go out weekly to trim the trees, or even worse, having to pay a landscaper to do so.
    Last edited by Pelton; 09-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelton View Post
    Steve,

You have every right to increase your privacy or improve the appearance of your property by putting up property line trees, or, for example, a 6' fence of wood or white vinyl; but where trees or evergreens are concerned, it pays to be careful . . .
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, however, everything after this was utter nonsense.

1 - Contractors are not in the business of giving away free advice. Some cities have tree foundations that will gladly consult for free, but there is little "free" advice beyond that.
    2 - Where did you get the misconception that trees should only be 6' tall? There is a reason that fences are limited to 6', trees can be whatever suits the owners needs.
    3 - Constant trimming of trees? Not likely, not unless you want an ugly nightmare on your hands.

Choosing the right tree for the right purpose and the right location is the key. It doesn't matter if it is an evergreen or deciduous.

Things that you should do:
    1 - You should avoid planting tall growing trees under power lines.
    2 - You should avoid planting ALL trees over water and sewer lines.
    3 - You should avoid planting ALL trees within 4' of a fence to prevent trunk/root damage to the fence and tree.
    4 - You should consult with an expert on tree types and choices for your location.
    5 - You should know what you're buying BEFORE you buy it, no matter where you buy it from.
    6 - You should consult with an expert for placement of trees on your property if you require assistance.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Japanese Pencil Holly.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehappens View Post
    I'm looking to plant something along a property line. Looking for something that grows fast, doesn't require much water and that looks nice. Would prefer it to grow tall versus wide.
    What region do you live in ? Maine or California ?

Plant Austrees. I purchased 100 of these trees, picked them up at a nursery in Indiana and planted them on a campground that we once owned for privacy screening. You plant them about five to ten feet apart. They will grow six to ten feet each year to a height of about 40 feet. I also planted a row of pine trees and there is no comparison shop at all. The pine trees required lots of maintenance, watering etc and many of them were crowded out by weeds. The Austrees will actually outgrow the weeds and except for watering them to get them started will do well as long as you plant them in the spring. Once started they need no maintenance at all. You can get 15 inch cuttings as cheaply as $1.00 apiece in quantity. Larger trees will range up to about $10 apiece. Just punch in Austrees on the internet and you will come up with a nursery near your or they can ship them out. I think that every one the trees I planted survived and provided a perfect privacy screen. They fill in the space between them so also function as a wind and snow screen. They will thrive in zones 4-9 in the U. S. which takes in most of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    What region do you live in ? Maine or California ?

D'oh! Sorry. I'm horrible with message boards.

I live in Boulder, Colorado.

High, dry country.

the best thing would be bamboo but it's like planting the plague in 1600s london; not easy to get rid of once it's there and spreads like... well like plague.

Remember though that bamboo can propagate from seeds but rarely does this and you may be able to find bamboo that really doesn't grow from seed. The real problem is roots, so you'll have to plant it in a concrete or plastic trench and make sure it's solid or you'll have leakage and will never get rid of it.

I'd also suggest putting up a fence while whatever you decide on is growing. Get cheapo lattice fencing and a few 4x4 or galvanized metal posts to keep it upright while your natural barrier has time to grow, then take the fence down later.

just my humble opinion.