+ Reply to Thread

Default How to restore marble countertop

I have a crema marfil countertop in my bathroom that was damaged when I spilled a bit of CLR (calcium/limestone/rust) cleaner on it. The polished finish is now dull where the cleaner touched it. I found an article that described fixing a problem like this with a high speed polisher and automotive rubbing compound, but this was to repair "cultured" marble. I don't know if my counter is cultured or natural- but even if it is natural is there any difference in how you'd restore the shine on this stone? I'm worried about turning a small dull spot into a very big dull spot!

Default Re: How to restore marble countertop

If this were a rental house - go ahead, experiment with various fixes, till you get somewhat acceptable results, if at all.

But if this is your residence and you are a perfectionist - replace the countertop. Why? it will cost you just a little more than all the experiments, time and materials, after which I doubt that you will be 100% satisfied.

You can restore to its original luster using 2000 grit wet paper and sanded wet. Then it was polished with polishing compound to a luster. The 2000 grit wet paper is for taking out scratches to be followed by the polishing compound for the luster finish.

Get pricing from a granite / marble / stone fabricator to make a repair. This is an advanced technical repair.