+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma John View Post
    I am with Ordgen on this one, water is the problem. It is destroying the plaster. Concrete is porous, the water is coming in from the outside. By running the ac, the walls are cooler inside than out and the water is condensing on and in the concrete, thus destroying the plaster. If paint will not hold up to this problem, what makes you think wallpaper will?. Best way to handle the problem is to install a vapor barrier, attach wood strips and drywall over it. Any other fix will only be temporary. Sorry
    Thanks for your advice.

There is no water condensation on wall. I have removed some peelings to check. It is quite easy. Touching them with a knife whole piece dropped down. Afterwards the old wall reappears, smooth and dry with little bid chalky.

Another idea comes to my mind. I'll start another posting.

Thanks.

I am with Ordgen on this one, water is the problem. It is destroying the plaster. Concrete is porous, the water is coming in from the outside. By running the ac, the walls are cooler inside than out and the water is condensing on and in the concrete, thus destroying the plaster. If paint will not hold up to this problem, what makes you think wallpaper will?. Best way to handle the problem is to install a vapor barrier, attach wood strips and drywall over it. Any other fix will only be temporary. Sorry
    I would also agree all the plaster manuals state that it is not acceptable to plaster direct to masonary exterior walls.
    Satinis stated that the existing plaster was smooth with minor defects.
    I also agree that moisture will cause paint to releace from the plaster being paint has a lower perm rate than plaster.
    I sugested that plaster in a roll could be used being it is a fabric inpregnated with PLASTER which is compatable with the existing wall surface.
    Also it should be noted that plaster has been applied direct to masonary dating back to as far as 1701 I have worked on many structures in the past and am working one as of this date that is clay tile with gypsum plaster applied to the interior of all walls and ceilings built 1939 no moisture problems as for dew piont occuring under the paint?
    Buildings built around the same time are being updated to withstand earth quakes ? same method was used plaster direct to masonary walls these walls are being restored to match existing.
    My question if it won't work why is the Gov"t. spending good money to restore it back to 1939 standards?

Ok, all of us are guessing here. We need more information. Is the wall above or below ground? How old was the wall before it was painted? Was there a primer used before it was painted? If so what primer was used? Just because you can not see water, does not mean moisture is not present. Have you tried taping a piece of plastic to the wall to look for water vapor? This has to be done where there is no paint present and wait for a minimum of 24 hours. The biggest problem is that you put a water vapor barrier on already, paint! Let us know about the questions I posed to you. I believe most of us pros will agree that you have a water problem or a PH problem and you did not use the proper primer. That and you had a chaky surface that you painted to. The vapor barrier, wood strips and drywall are a common building practice for basements. Until you have a good surface for something to stick to, nothing will work.
    Last edited by Tacoma John; 09-20-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Clarence, I agree, plaster has been used back to the Roman times over masonary. The big issue is that the romans did not have AC .
    Last edited by Tacoma John; 09-20-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Clarence, I agree, plaster has been used back to the Roman times over masonary. The big issue is that the romans did not have AC .
    John I agree with you.
    The two things that destroy plaster are Fire & water.
    It is made by buring Limestone ( fire )
    Than mixed with water to be applied ( moisture )
    Anyone of the above things will cause plaster to try to return back to back to it's powder stage.
    Fire or heat above about 180 degrees will do it in avery short time . Water may take years depends on the amount.

Tacoma,

I would actually omit the vapor barrier and insulate the wall to where the dew point is not reached on the back of the wall. You do not want to trap moisture in the wall, you do want to keep the back of that wall warm enough so that water vapor does not condence on the back side of the drywall. This is similar to problems that have been experienced where heavy plastic has been placed behind the dry wall in hot humid areas where air conditioning has become the norm. Experts in this field have also cautioned against using impermeable wallpapers under such circumstances. Unfortunately, almost all wallpapers now come with plastic coatings whcih make them highly impermeable.