+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    Hi all,


    Latex paint is cracking, flaking and peeling in my flat (pls refer to following threads);
    cracking_n_flaking
    ubuntuone.com/6aLW7LOx1haZvbjj1ZAfcQ

    peeling
    ubuntuone.com/1ZCFOhB5Lvkplj72DvzdRW


    I'm not prepared to repair it by repainting. I'm planning to hang wallpapers over it. I have following questions seeking for advice.

    1)
    I'll peel off all latex paint having cracking/flaking/peeling problem. The latex was painted on concrete wall which is quite smooth. But I will not sand the wall after peeling off the problematic paint. Because it will make my flat flying with dust NOT easy to clean.

    2)
    Would it be a good idea to add lining paper? If YES which grade? 1000?

    3)
    Or can I hang wallpaper direct without lining paper?

    4)
    Or is there any better idea to rescue the damaged wall?


    I suppose the cracking, flaking and peeling of latex paint is due to the high humidity in Summer here which last 4~5 months with ave 80% humidity and 30~34 deg C (86~93 deg F).

    Advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    B.R.
    satimis

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,434

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    Do you live in a flat (as in apartment) ?

    If you do, don't make any changes like the ones you planning, before you talk to the owner of the property.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago
    Posts
    1,609

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    I am always amazed at the amount of work people will go through in an attempt to avoid addressing the real problem. The irony is that the project inevitably looks half-assed and ends up costing more work and materials. You're going to hang a liner and wallpaper to hide rough walls? Wallpapers are not inexpensive and require alot of labor to hang. Fix the walls!

    Indeed, the moisture and schrinking of the wallpaper as it dries might even aggravate the bad adhesion problem that already exists on the wall.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Do you live in a flat (as in apartment) ?

    If you do, don't make any changes like the ones you planning, before you talk to the owner of the property.
    Hi,

    The flat is owned by me

    satimis

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I am always amazed at the amount of work people will go through in an attempt to avoid addressing the real problem. The irony is that the project inevitably looks half-assed and ends up costing more work and materials. You're going to hang a liner and wallpaper to hide rough walls? Wallpapers are not inexpensive and require alot of labor to hang. Fix the walls!

    Indeed, the moisture and schrinking of the wallpaper as it dries might even aggravate the bad adhesion problem that already exists on the wall.
    Hi,

    Thanks for your advice.

    It is a concrete wall covered with plaster. Before I painted the wall with latex the wall surface was quite smooth except looking a little bid old and slighly chalky. I painted with several layers of latex on it. The new wall looked beautiful with shining surface but lasting about 14 months. Then the latex starts cracking, flaking and peeling. If I peel off the latex layer a smooth old wall will come back.

    The summer is hot and humid here. AC and humidifier are on when I'm at home but not running round the clock.


    I'm prepared to remove all loose latex and sand the wall thoroughly. Afterward I'll
    coat the wall with;

    Gardz
    zinsserdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=96

    OR
    Peelstop
    zinsserdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=26

    for hanging wallpaper.

    My second thought is whether I need to hang lining paper. The wall is quite smooth. After finish I expect the wall can last for great number of years. Advice would be appreciated.

    Besides which sealer will be more suitable for my application, Gardz OR Peelstop.

    Thanks in advance.

    B.R.
    satimis

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    See if you can find this product Plaster in a Roll.
    It goes on like wall paper but is plaster based and very strong.
    They will also have the required bonding products.
    To remove the paint try misting exposed plaster with water mist the wall as often as you can till it wont take anymore water than the next day you should be able to remove a lot of the paint.
    May be able to start removing in a couple of hrs.
    Keep the exposed edge wet.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    See if you can find this product Plaster in a Roll.
    It goes on like wall paper but is plaster based and very strong.
    They will also have the required bonding products.
    To remove the paint try misting exposed plaster with water mist the wall as often as you can till it wont take anymore water than the next day you should be able to remove a lot of the paint.
    May be able to start removing in a couple of hrs.
    Keep the exposed edge wet.
    Hi,

    Thanks for your advice.

    Whether you meant;

    Clay Roll-On Plaster
    unearthedpaints.com/products/clay-roll-on-plaster

    or similar products?

    Do plastering as;
    Ready to Roll Skimcoat Plaster
    youtube.com/watch?v=k1NuN_JJxtg

    I think this product is available here, Hong Kong.

    The damaged latex, peeling, is easy to remove. Touching it slighly with a knife it'll drop off. Then the old wall will come back, quite smooth witout serious damage. Do I need to replaster the wall? OR just apply sealer on some damaged area before hanging wallpaper?

    Please advise. Thanks in advance

    B.R.
    satimis

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    No you won't have to replaster the wall.
    The product name is PLASTER IN A ROLL.
    There are others products on the market that work the same.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    Rechecked my folder.
    Look up flexiwall@bellsouth.net

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Would it be a good idea to hang wallpaper

    I am with Ordgen on this one, water is the problem. It is destroying the plaster. Concrete is porous, the water is coming in from the outside. By running the ac, the walls are cooler inside than out and the water is condensing on and in the concrete, thus destroying the plaster. If paint will not hold up to this problem, what makes you think wallpaper will?. Best way to handle the problem is to install a vapor barrier, attach wood strips and drywall over it. Any other fix will only be temporary. Sorry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •