+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete pavers on end to edge flower garden

We have a 5' x 3' flower garden under our mailbox along the road and we're trying edge it with concrete pavers on end. We have the back row complete. We used 2 stakes with a string and a torpedo level to be sure the bricks were level and the same height.

Now the problem: we added the pavers on the short sides, which are level with the back row paver on each end. But one short side appears to be higher than the other. How can this be? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Default Re: Concrete pavers on end to edge flower garden

Of course this an happen. The level is an old and inaccurate instrument because the bubble can be in 100 different positions that seem leveled, but only one position is a true level. One day we are all going to use a digital level, where o degrees is leveled. That day is not far - I've seen these levels already

BTW, you don't use a topedo level on a string. Use a light weight string level instead.

Thank you DJ1, I'll look into the digital level. But, how do I get the short sides level with each other, and the back long side? I'm thinking I have to remove all of the pavers and start all over again.

You are thinking exactly what I was going to tell you...pull the pavers out, re-do them again.

The first thing you do is toss that torpedo level, and forget about a string level. Both of these items are too small to be accurate over any distance but the length of themselves. They do have there place, periodically, but not often. Instead, get yourself a decent quality level that is 24" or longer. The longer the level, the more accurate it is going to be over a longer span.

Next, level out all four corners of your project BEFORE you set any pavers. By using a longer level and a straight 2x4 or similar item that is long enough to span both the length of the long side and diagonally corner to corner. Once you've got these points you can them pull a string and set your intermediate pavers to the height of the string and everything will be level.

When you are using your level, ALWAYS use it from the same side, meaning put an "X" on one of its straight edges and always keep that edge up. This can help to minimize any inaccuracies within the instrument. The other thing you can do is once you get a level, turn the level end for end and check again. This will tell you if your level is accurate or not.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you A. Spruce for your comments as well, it seems much easier now.