+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vintage drills

Smile vintage drills

My friend picked up an old Black and Decker Jr. drill at a yard sale and so far I have not been able to track down any information on it. It is a 110 volt, 1.7 amp, type B, 1800 rpm model.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find out the value and get information about this drill? It is frustrating not knowing more about it. Thanks
    Art

Default Re: vintage drills

Probably the easiest thing would be to contact your local B&D distributor/retailer and talk to them about it. Typically, old tools, especially old cheap tools have no value.

Here's a bit of trivia for you, who was the first cordless drill? It was B&D, but they couldn't sell it, so they repackaged it under their DeWalt label and the rest is history, now every manufacturer has a cordless offering.

Point is, B&D was and is a cheap brand name, hence other than kitch value, the drill isn't worth anything.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Probably the easiest thing would be to contact your local B&D distributor/retailer and talk to them about it. Typically, old tools, especially old cheap tools have no value.

Here's a bit of trivia for you, who was the first cordless drill? It was B&D, but they couldn't sell it, so they repackaged it under their DeWalt label and the rest is history, now every manufacturer has a cordless offering.

Point is, B&D was and is a cheap brand name, hence other than kitch value, the drill isn't worth anything.
    Actually Sprucee I think it was Nasa and B&D that came up with the battery operated drill.......They were a pc of crap. Back in the 70's Makita had the best battery operated drill,,,,mostly for HVAC TIN KNOCKERS...........
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

afishguy2,
    Did it come with old drill bits too?

Kinda proving my point there Giz! My first cordless was the Makita 7.2 back in 1987. I had that as my sole cordless up until 2000 when I was introduced to the DeWalt 18v. equipment, now that is my tool of choice. I still have and use my original drill from12 years ago, though I have bought newer 18v equipment since.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The 1st cordless drill was invented by Raymond Dewalt in 1924 long before Dewalt was bought out by B&D in the 60's. B&D didnt turn the Dewalt brand into what it is today until the 90's. Joe Galli was the driving force behind getting Dewalt tools to be the tool of choice for most tradesman. I think he's the Big Dog at TTI now....

The best drill I owned was a Dewalt 12v pistol grip design. I loved that pistol grip feel....no one makes one like it anymore......

All the different major brand tools in the industry now days are all pretty much neck and neck with each other ...quality wise......In my opinion they have all went over board with tools. There way to darn bulky and heavy. Look at the miter saws..the saws weigh to much. Insead of reducing weight and size they want to sell you stands with wheels to transport them. It wont be long before they start manufacturing the stands with a trailer hitch tongue on them........

The companies have the ability to reduce the size and weight of miter saws now that pretty much all saws compound left/right and slide. Bigger isnt always better espcially when we get older....Right Spruceee
    Last edited by Gizmo; 09-17-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I never thought I'd hear my mother's words coming out of my mouth, especially when I was in my 30's. I'm a little older than that now and I have many more of her mannerisms than I care to admit, such as shaking head in disbelief at how crappy EVERYTHING is made today. New is NOT better, change for the sake of change is NOT better.

I agree with the bulk and weight of many tools, especially when most of them are 90% plastic. Even when I used the things everyday, a DeWalt drill at arms length is going to seriously test your strength and stamina.

Thanks guys for the posts. I think that I got off on the wrong track here. I am familiar with everything posted here. What I needed to find out was any info on where to look for the info on this drill. I have gone to just about every site I can think of and still get dead ends. Given the facat that B&D is now a multi-national and very diverse company I need, or really want, to find out about this particular drill. Again thanks for the input. I will keep on looking