+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question Re: Leaking Shower Arm behind Wall

Good Morning,

I wish I could say the saga is ended and the wall in my new bath sealed but alas it's not.

We did make some interesting progress though. After installing the original arm that came with it (American Standard) and it leaked. AS sending a new arm and it leaked. They both leaked at the threads.

He went to the plumbing supply (we don't have a hardware store, per se') and got just a standard 'off the shelf' arm and installed it yesterday, just to experiment. Voila'....NO LEAKS!

Of course, it doesn't match my shower 'stuff' (bronze) so it can't be the answer. So we're now wondering what is the problem? And solution? Another AS arm? Could two be off?

Could it have something to do with tapering? As I said before the AS arm when put in, only turns by hand to 9 o'clock and really required some force, as you can tell to get it to 6. And yes you can tell our exasperation by that time to resort to vice gripe marks on the arm but that part is behind the shower wall.

And by the way, I didn't recieve any notification in my email even though I had it marked or I would have been back in yesterday, before everyone went back to work today

Thank you again for all your suggestions.

Default Re: Leaking Shower Arm behind Wall

It sounds like American Standard has a bad run of shower arms. If you won't be happy with anything but that make shower arm I suggest you call American Standard and tell them the same thing you have posted here. Welcome to the world of plumbing. Like I have always said (we don't have any leaks we buy them)

John

I find it a bit strange that AS arms leak and other arms don't. By now your 90 elbow is pretty worn out (judging by the amount of power you exerted on the arm in the photo) - replace the 90 elbow, like I suggested before, and use a standard arm with the same finish as AS - and start enjoying your showers!

If you want to call AS, they'll charge you s&h larger than buying a standard arm.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If you want to call AS, they'll charge you s&h larger than buying a standard arm.
    I contacted American Standard through the e-mail at their web site about a leaking flush valve Champion 3 toilet. They sent me an upgrade to a Champion 4 free, twice. The first one they sent was for a one piece toilet but mine is a two piece. They did not charge me shipping and handling for either one.
    Last edited by keith3267; 09-17-2012 at 11:16 AM.

I guess we will just try another 'style'? arm from AS and then switch brands if that doesn't work.
    AS did send us the replacement arm free of charge and shipping.
    I'm just interested in color and shape, not brand.
    And Hub, being an annoyingly meticulous personality, did put on all new everything each time So nothing is worn out.
    And yes, we too, in our world, have run into more than one part in a row that is defective. Just not in the shower arm category, until now.
    I thank you for your time and advice.
    jennifer