+ Reply to Thread

Default Rotted Patio Door

I have a French patio door, with one fixed door and one swing door. The wood strip between the doors is badly rotted through at the bottom and into the spine of the fixed door quite a bit to expose the insulation. Can this strip be replaced and how. I am thinking of using epoxy to fill but that may not be good for the structure of the door.

Default Re: Rotted Patio Door

Hard to tell without pics. Can you post a few?

Without seeing your situation it is hard to answer. A ducthman would probably be a better solution than epoxy. Remember this is the supporting structure for the swing door, that's a lot of weight.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That strip between the doors is called a T-astrugal, look at its shape, it will be self explanatory.

Yes, you can replace this strip, though you will probably have to go to a door and millwork supplier to get it, it is doubtful that any big box will carry such a thing.

As to fixing the door itself, it will depend on the severity of the damage, what you will have to do to repair it. If the faces of the door are ok, then you can carve or router out the damage and insert a repair piece cut to fit, glue and tack with some nails into the end of the door and clamp the faces to the block until the glue cures.

Install the new T-astrugal and mortice your handset/deadbolt and slide bolt hardware and you'll be good to go. This repair will probably take you 4 to 6 hours IF you have everything sitting there and waiting, longer if you've got to try to source materials once you've torn into the project.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for your very informative response. It confirms what I was thinking. I spoke with one of the big box and they would have to order the T-astragal strip if I knew who the door manufacturer was. I donít know who the manufacturer is and guess it is one of those builder grade mass produced generic doors built by who knows who (donít see any markings on the door). I am assuming that if I get the dimensions correct that any one should do the trick.
    Thanks again.

Check the edges of the door, they sometimes put a stamp there.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb