+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sweating walls

Default sweating walls

I bought a house with a 25' by 14' den (an addition) It has a 12' cathedral ceiling. There's a 6'x3' crawl space above it with no access. New roof with ridge vent. There are 3 A/C vents in the floor(not enough) and one large ceiling fan. On very hot days the higher parts of the walls drip with condensation. The ceiling fan is only on at night. What is causing this? How do I fix it? Please help, nobody else can. Thanks Karlene

Default Re: sweating walls

If you have metal vents, it could be condensation forming on the exterior of the vents. Hot days and nights, high relative humidity and cold a/c draft can cause that.
    Insulation around such vents might help.

makes sense to me

I am not sure, but you can check the roof of the home for any roof vents and proper ventilation. Without venting, air will not circulate throughout the home. If the home does not have roof vents, installation of venting is critical. To install a roof vent, pull the shingle away from the roof in a 10-inch by 10-inch square area. Cut a 9-inch by 9-inch hole in the roof. Place the vent over the hole. Use a roofing silicone caulking to seal the vent to the roof. Seal the outside edges of the vent. Replace the shingles to the vent flange, and nail back in place using roofing nails.