+ Reply to Thread

Default tiling faux fireplace

Hi all,

I am planning to build an ornamental (as in no fire beyond a candle or two) fireplace in my living room, and I want to face it in subway tile. It's basically going to be a knee wall mounted in front of the existing wall with a salvaged oak mantle over the top. But I really have no constraints on materials/construction to speak of. Given that, what would be the best way to face the knee wall and adhere tile to that facing material?

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: tiling faux fireplace

Face it with cement board. excellent for mounting tiles.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Face it with cement board. excellent for mounting tiles.

Jack
    Thanks for your response.

Do I need an underlayment under the cement board like a plywood or OSB or can I mount the cement board directly into the studs of the knee wall? There's never going to be any load to speak of on this, but I just want to make sure I'm providing enough rigidity along the plane of the knee wall to prevent cracking grout down the line.

Yes, cement board is brittle and if you hit it it will break. You can use plywood.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb