+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default privacy fence nailed to neighbor's cross supports

In my relatively new home my builder installed my wood privacy fence with the supports facing the then undeveloped lot next door.

Now that the home next door is built, the fencing contractor installed wood privacy planks to the support cross 2x4's on our fence.

The problem is that angry hornets have now built a nest in between the fences using the small crevices between planks as entry points.

This will be an ongoing, dangerous problem even if the current nest is sprayed with wasp killer.

Is it a common practice to install fences in such a manner?

I would like the subdivision builder to just remove the planks on our side of the fence. Is this reasonable?

Thank you!

Default Re: privacy fence nailed to neighbor's cross supports

What is not common is not facing the posts for your fence to your side of the property. The fence must have been installed without a permit because it would have never pasted inspection.

John

You have the right to ask your neighbor not to attach his fence to yours, unless he paid 1/2 the bill. Let him install his own posts.

I'm sure you can resolve it amicably.

The hornets are a different issue and if the nest is on the property line you both should share the cost of removing it.
    Last edited by dj1; 09-12-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Not sure what johnh2o is saying, but common practice is to have the finished side of a fence on the outside. It is common practice but I know no code requirement. Have you considered removing the planks on your side your self?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

In the state of Florida it is code to have the finish side facing your neighbors. Plus the fence must be inspected. If it is facing wrong they will make you move it. But keep in mind are lots are very small,they must also be surveyed. The fence installers must also be licensed.

John

This sounds like a real can of worms---er, wasps!

I'm not sure I understand what "subdivision" means, and if the same builder built the houses and the common fence, or if YOU paid for the fence, and it is on your property, or on the property line.

Are you on speaking terms with your next door neighbor??? It sounds like he did a small-minded thing (even illegal) by installing boards on YOUR fence without even asking permission, and apparently didn't get your agreement beforehand----and now there's a wasp problem, which is clearly of HIS DOING-----he sounds like a real jerk!

I think you'll be able to get rid of the wasps eventually, either by waiting for cooler weather, or attacking them at night with wasp spray when they go into a torpor (lassitude); I'm less optimistic that your relationship with the neighbor will survive-----it's best just to stay away from people like that, unless he's willing to make amends on this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dodsworth View Post
    This sounds like a real can of worms---er, wasps!

I'm not sure I understand what "subdivision" means, and if the same builder built the houses and the common fence, or if YOU paid for the fence, and it is on your property, or on the property line.

Are you on speaking terms with your next door neighbor??? It sounds like he did a small-minded thing (even illegal) by installing boards on YOUR fence without even asking permission, and apparently didn't get your agreement beforehand----and now there's a wasp problem, which is clearly of HIS DOING-----he sounds like a real jerk!

I think you'll be able to get rid of the wasps eventually, either by waiting for cooler weather, or attacking them at night with wasp spray when they go into a torpor (lassitude); I'm less optimistic that your relationship with the neighbor will survive-----it's best just to stay away from people like that, unless he's willing to make amends on this deal.
    The problems going on with this fence is the very reason why we have regulations on installing fences. It protects both you and your neighbors from having feuds.

John

Thanks to everyone for your replies...

The subdivision is built by one builder, and still has a few homes under construction before it is completed. The builder subcontracted to put my neighbor's fence up when his house was built. (My neighbor doesn't like the way it is, either)

The wasps will always come back as long as the fence is doubled...
    ...and I am just going to remove the planks on my side of the fence, but am going to try to get the builder to do it...

I am located in San Antonio, after moving from the Pacific NW four years ago...and California before that.
    ...they certainly do things differently here...

Thank you again for the input!
    Susan

Oh the trouble with fencing, I think you should definitely discuss this with your neighbor. It's only only your problem but it is also theirs. Try to reason with them and I'm sure you'll find a solution.

1.Neither fence could have been built with a permit or inspections.
    a. The good side of your fence must face the neighbors, not your yard.
    b. Each fence must be on the associated property. So then can't share the posts.

2.You could ask the new neighbor to take his fence boards off your posts. Be prepared for a No.

3. You could contact the building inspectors. Be prepared to rebuild your fence correctly.

4. Brake-clean works great for wasps. Don't use around flames.
    Waste not, want not.
    Use it up. Wear it out. Make it due, or due without.