+ Reply to Thread

Default Help, should i buy

OK anyone that is out there, I need advice and fast. I am sending my question out into the community because I seem to have the ability to really make some stupid mistakes, e.g. the guys that did my roof put the wood down wrong so the over hangs dont match, and covered over the vent for the heater, then they were gone. I had the dangerous part repaired like the vent but the wood overhang is going the wrong way.

After the floor guy completed repairing and refinishing the wood floors told me" just don't stand in this spot" Great, then he was tossed into jail. The floors still are not done but then do I want him back, no, but the baseboards I paid for I would love.

I have bad decision making skills, obviously. So on to the question..kinda. I live in an old craftsman cottage in an area that was just deemed historic all of the windows have been changed out to vinyl or aluminum, I would love to change them back to wood sash; I Love that watery glass, but one contractor told me one window could cost me 1500. alone, the fact is unless I win the publishers clearing house sweepstakes that will never happen. I was driving around yesterday and saw a house being turned, and they removed all of the old windows, score I thought, but now I am being told it would cost even more to have those redone and installed. The guy only wanted 300 for the lot including two int doors. I don't know that they are exactly the right size but they were close, unfortunately I have made so many bad decisions I am fearful of making another, and since I was recently laid off that 300 could be a good decision or a REALLY BAD ONE... help please with any advice.

Jen
    Last edited by Jenny.0200; 09-12-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Default Re: Help, should i buy

Jen it would be coatly if they are not the right size it would require modifications to your house to use them. Never get an estimate for some guy , get multiple estimates, and demand references and talk to them. Check Angies list, the BBB, and you local building department and your local preservation society. There is a massive amount of free help out there so you don't have to do it on your own.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, unfortunately the people I used in the past were refered to me by coworkers, as since I am on a tight budget I thought Great! Not so great looks like i will be doing one window a decade hahaha.

Just because you ask a friend or coworker for a lead, does not mean that you are absolved of your due diligence. You must check into everyone you hire, unfortunately. Most states have some wort of governing board for contractors, you can check with them for complaints and problems regarding the contractor.

It would also seem you need to find better friends and coworkers if this is the quality of tradesman they are offering. It really isn't that difficult to find good tradesmen, but you DO have to stop looking under rocks and bridges in your search for them.

Specifically on your window question, as Jack points out, if the windows are the correct size, then it's a great investment, if not, then you're merely throwing away another $300. Secondly, why were the windows being replaced? It is quite likely that they needed to be, so again, a waste of money for you to buy and try to install in your house.

If I were you, I'd look around the city for a local window builder who makes the original windows. If you've got a decent sized or multiple "historic" areas, then you've likely got some local suppliers who cater to the needs of these homes. I have such a manufacturer in my city and the last full sash and casement I bought from him was in the $400 range, granted, this was about 12 years ago.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!