+ Reply to Thread

Default Running camera cable to outside

I have a kit of CCTV cameras and i'm trying to figure out a way or running them outside. If I put them in a window they just reflect IR light back at night which washes out the image because of window glass coatings. They are outdoor cameras but I don't know of an easy way to route wire to the outside so I can mount one under an awning. In particular the cable already has connectors on each end so I have to find a suitable was to route wire or drill a big 1/2" hole to the outside.

Does anyone have any tips or accessories to help maybe run the wire through the door jamb?
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: Running camera cable to outside

ON the interior, you can pull a piece of trim to drill your hole. Once the wire is through and mounted in place, caulk around it to fill and seal the hole before replacing the trim. Exterior holes will be a little more difficult, unless trim is also matched up at exit points, then you can simply notch the back of the trim over the wire, then caulk to seal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You are just going to have to drill the holes then fill the gaps. But, and this is important, the cable must exit the wall in a downward direction, then go up to the camera. This is known as a drip loop. During a rain event, you want all the water to drip off a point lower than either the camera or the hole in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    This is known as a drip loop. During a rain event, you want all the water to drip off a point lower than either the camera or the hole in the wall.
    It's important regardless of weather exposure, who's to say someone isn't going to hose down that wall when doing general cleaning?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There is no "easy way" unless you got a kit of wireless on battery cameras.

I'd suggest routing the wire through your eaves into the attic, and then down to your recorder through the applicable wall.