+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Western Springs, IL. Western Suburb of Chicago

Default Garage / Coachhouse Insulation

Live in Chicago and have a 3 bay detached Cinder-block garage. Want to put a gathering / playroom above (using SIP). Best practice for insulating the 1st level garage walls, or is it worth it. Plan to side the cinder-block walls w/ Hardie. Want to make the room above as comfortable as possible in winter. Have gas, water and sewer hook-ups accessible.
    Last edited by a.smithee@comcast.net; 09-11-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Garage / Coachhouse Insulation

If the garage is going to remain a garage, I would insulate the floor of the new room above. Insulating the floors would save energy over insulating the garage walls below. The big disadvantage to insulating the garage walls is that the average temperature of the garage would be higher in winter, which is bad for any cars stored in it.

If you park a car that has been driven on slushy, salted streets and park it in a warm garage, you increase the corrosion activity. It is best for the vehicle to be in a cold, ventilated garage.

I'm more move to the idea of insulation of floors as well as the doors of the garage. Well temperature is one factor to consider specially at weather condition that may brought effect in the compose of the garage.

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

Chicago was my hometown for most of my life. I would concurr with Keith's comment about it being better to let that frozen, salt containing slush on the underside of the car to stay frozen. If you bring it inside, it turns to salt water and runs into every nick and cranny. Even if the gaage is not heated, you bring in a vehicle with a hot engine and exhaust and you raise the garage temp to where it thaws. I personally seldom brought my cars inside the garage for that very reason. I would make an exception when the temps were supposed to go way below zero. Also, if you like to keep a nice clean garage, that melted slush makes a heck of mess on the garage floor.

Chicago uses an unbelieveable amount of salt every winter. In the fall you can see a mountain of it at the mouth of the Chicago River, where it is brought in by ship. With over 60 inches of snow so far this winter, their supplies are running low. My present home state of Oregon does not use salt, due to the road, bridge and environmental damage it can do. They do use a type of liquid de-icer. They also through gravel all over the place. The paint job on the from of my car shows it!

Anyway, insulate the life out of the garage ceiling. You might even splurge and have it spray foamed. Foam can't be beat for stopping air ( and auto fume) infiltration.