+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing Kitchen Floor

I'm not sure if there is a better place for this but i'm looking for a general step by step to replacing a subfloor in the kitchen. Right now i only know of the laminate on top but it site about 1/2 inch higher than the wood flooring in the adjoining room. Being a 1920s home I guess they have put layers of laminate over and over. My plan is to get a circular saw and basically cut through the entire subfloor (without cutting the joists of course). Hopefully I can rip it up in chunks of maybe 1 foot wide strips.

Is this typical or do most just hack at it? After i'm down to the joists I assume I need beef up joists if I find they are undersize for a tile load and to cover with 3/4 tongue and groove plywood then with a layer of cement board as the tile base. Sound about right? Are there any specifics i'm missing or maybe some tips specific to the kitchen?
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Default Re: Replacing Kitchen Floor

For all your questions and a lot more, head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum. There you will find an extensive library. Take some pictures of your project and start your own thread. On your thread you can post pictures and get answers detailed to your specific situation. There is a deflection calculation tool on the site which will let you know if your framing needs to be beefed up.

Tell them we said hello.

Are the base cabinets sitting on top of the laminate?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Are the base cabinets sitting on top of the laminate?
    Yes, I plan on stripping everything down to the studs
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content