+ Reply to Thread

Default insulating around chimney

I am replacing cedar siding with new cedar siding on a wood frame Victorian built in 1902. When I pulled the siding that butts up against the chimney I found a 3" gap between the chimney and the nearest stud. I want to know if I can insulate this space or if the chimney gets too hot. I would like to use the expanding foam but could use fiberglass. Does anyone know if this is OK?

Default Re: insulating around chimney

What kind of a chimney do you have?

Brick, stone, framed?

Regardless, you can add a stud for support purposes.

If it is an original chimney, it should be inspected by a professional before you do anything, and that includes using it.

Normally, when a chimney of this era is in good shape and working properly, it probably doesn't get too hot, however, back then people used their chimneys a lot more and chimney fires were more common. Then the chimney would get too hot, so the gap was probably there to protect the house from a chimney fire and not from normal use.

I cannot, and I don't think anyone should give you advice on this one without an inspection first. There are new technologies available that can make the chimney safer and allow you to insulate right up to the masonry and a qualified inspector can explain the options to you.

Look around the web for other possible ways, hope this make sense..