+ Reply to Thread

Question Can I use wood putty to fill in old cracks in paint?

There are windows and 2 doors inside my home that have cracks in the paint. They have been painted over numerous times. I have stripped my fair share of furniture and really don't want to strip these. Could I use wood putty?

Default Re: Can I use wood putty to fill in old cracks in paint?

You'll normally want something that has a little expansion/contraction ability and most wood fillers, particularly where corners or seams are involved, aren't flexible enough. If you're applying the repair to a painted surface, the wood putty won't even adhere properly. Most painted surfaces are latex based so you'd want to use a latex based caulk. Ask you home improvement store for a reliable painters' caulk like Dap. Most painters' caulks are latex based and wear well without cracking.
    If I only knew what I was doing!

Default Re: Can I use wood putty to fill in old cracks in paint?

LFlanigan,

"Putty" is an oil based compound and cannot be sanded. Caulks are also non-sandable. I would use a vinyl based wood filler or patching compound, the same type used to patch minor holes and imperfections on your walls. Hot mud such as DuraBond Easy Sand will also adhere well in such shallow cracks. After patching and sanding, you should prime the area before top coating.