+ Reply to Thread

Default Foundation leveling

Sirs,
    Looking for advice on having a slab leveled.What should I look for when obtaining bids.Two of the companies were extremely high on their bids.I suppose someone has to pay for their TV advertising,but not me.

Default Re: Foundation leveling

look up companies in your area that do grout pump leveling. they drill holes in your slab and pump an expanding grout into the holes. as the grout expands your slab can be leveled. it's alot cheaper than the old fashioned way.

Generally, when obtaining bids, you want to make sure they come with valid references, cover all that is proposed to be done, reasonably/competitively priced, etc.

You also should have a gut felling about the contractor you choose, open communication and understanding. If you don't have all these - don't hire him.

Regarding pricing: contractors are no different than others who are in business - they work to make a profit. So if you feel they are too high, keep on looking or try to negotiate. But be respectful.

One more thing: in California the maximum down payment/deposit allowed is 10% of the job, and not 50% (for materials) as many contractors try to get...

Always keep a 10% retainer to make sure the job is complete to your satisfaction and get releases from suppliers.

Then sleep good at night.

A contractor asking for a large downpayment up front is a sure give away that he has no established credit with the materials suppliers and is probably working close to the edge!

Make sure that you get a "Waiver of Lien" from the materials suppliers, especially if materials are dropped off at you house. A Waiver of Lien holds you harmless if the contractor has not paid the materials bill. Remember, if the materials were dropped at your house, the supplier knows where they they were installed. If the contractor does not pay his bill, the supplier is coming after YOU and he will win in court!

I never took down payments or ernest money during my years of contracting. If it were a large contract over a lengthy period of time, partial payments were agreed upon up front and paid out as satisfactory progress was made.

As DJ1 counsels, don't pay in full until you are completely satisfied. Holding back money is your greatest leverage.