+ Reply to Thread

Question Matching old molding

We recently had our kitchen and dining room renovated. Unfortunately, during renovation chair rail molding from an adjoining wall was tossed. I'm having difficulty finding replacement chair rail molding for a damaged adjacent wall. The wood molding was likely made in the 1930's and is about 2 1/2 inches wide. Anyone aware of any salvage yards in NJ for old building materials or am I stuck having a custom piece made? I only need about 3 feet of molding. Thanks!
    Last edited by Thirtieshouse; 09-09-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Default Re: Matching old molding

it is possible, but doubtful that you can find a piece of matching molding at local mill. you'll have to do some homework to find one in your area. you can also bring a piece to your local lumber yard and see if they know anyone who might have a matching piece. if it comes down to having a piece made it would probably be alot cheaper to find a similar molding and replace it all. usually, to get a copy made, will cost you a minimum of about $350-$500 for 3' of molding or 50' of molding. it would be alot cheaper to replace it all with something as close as you can get.

Check with Decorators Supply.
    www.decoratorsupply.com
    Ph # 773-847-6300
    3610-12 So. Morgan Street
    Chicago, Illinois 60609-1586

Also check out VanDykes Restoration Hardware.

another thing you may find is that one of your local boutique building material suppliers caters to historic homes and may have the same or similar molding on their shelf or may be able to order it.

Check with local woodworking and cabinet suppliers to see what they have for moldings.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Our local millworker doesn't charge nearly those prices for custom matched trims. He makes is own planer blades to reproduce the mouldings typical to our 1920's era homes.

Clark's Lumber in Houston Texas 77007