+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathtub caulk "bleeding" red

This question may have been answered already, but I'm not sure how to really label the problem. My house is in Baton Rouge, lots of humidity. Recently I noticed a line of red sticky material seeping out of one spot along the caulk by the bathtub and wall. The spot is along the outside wall. At first I thought it was some red shampoo, but I noticed it this morning again. I suspect it may be a leaking hot water line. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Bathtub caulk "bleeding" red

You are reporting conflicting facts:

1. Is it red color/dye or red sticky stuff?
    2. Is it showing in one spot where the bath tub meets the wall inside or outside?
    3. What do you base your assumption that it's a leak in the hot water line on? is there wetness?

A photo will help. To send a photo use photobucket.com

Thanks here is some more info,
    1. Is it red color/dye or red sticky stuff?
    The color is an orange red, it is sticky, I can only assume the stickiness is caused by the caulk, but not sure

2. Is it showing in one spot where the bath tub meets the wall inside or outside?
    It is showing where the bathtub meets the wall, along the outside wall of the house.

3. What do you base your assumption that it's a leak in the hot water line on? is there wetness?
    No real basis for assuming a hot water leak at this time, just a guess, I am going to check the attic where the pipes are.

I wiped it off before taking a picture, my bad, will pic it next time

I looked in the little alcove behind the tub, can reach it by looking through space behind vanity where it backs onto the tub and found no wetness.

just checked in the attic, there are no pipes in the area of the wall, so I'm stumped could it be a product of the humidity?

Once a mold or mildew moves in stuff like this happens. Remove the caulk (probably latex) and replace with 100% silicone. Not anything siliconized, but real silicone.

Thanks I'll try that

My well water here in Indiana has a lot of disolved iron in it. If I don't clean my shower and stool often it will start turning red (basically rust).