+ Reply to Thread
    In the South, y'all!

Default First Time Poster With Two Questions

I've been in my 1985 townhouse for three years now and have finally reached a point where I can start working on some of the things that were "remodeled" with spit and baling wire or are just plain ugly!

The first thing are the ceilings on what I call the main level consisting of the kitchen, dining room, living room and a sunroom which leads onto the deck. The finish on the ceilings isn't the spray-on popcorn stuff but it isn't smooth. I don't know what to call it! A previous owner repair is glaringly obvious and it appears as if someone was over-zealous in applying the finish. It's U-G-LY. What are my options in correcting this? Sanding down? New drywall over the top? Your suggestions and expertise are welcome.

The next issue is peeling paint in the sunroom. (It's not a real sunroom - just what I call it 'cause it's got a nifty skylight, a big window and the patio doors. And, it's little. ) The paint would probably come off in large-ish pieces if I pulled on it. Otherwise the rest of the paint seems to be adhering the way it should.

Last thing (for now!), is the fireplace in the living room. I can't afford to have it resurfaced it right now and would like to paint over the field stone rock. Feasible and/or would it look decent?

Houston Texas

Default Re: First Time Poster With Two Questions

1- If the ceiling is painted, sanding it down would be problematic. I have a solution that will take a boatload of time, but will cost less than $20. And you'll get an awesome shoulder workout every night for a few weeks;

A- scr ape down the high spots
    B- float the ceiling with a very thin layer of drywall compound
    c- scr ape down the high spots and trowel ridges
    d- float the ceiling again, in a different direction so your trowel will ride over the trowel ridges
    E- scr ape down the high spots and trowel ridges
    f- float again Each successive floating will make the ceiling smoother and smoother. You will need to add more water to the pre-mixed compound each time as the old work will suck the moisture out of the wet compound.

Do as much as your shoulders will let you each night.

2- If the paint is peeling off in big sheets the original prep work was poor or non existent. I'd be willing to bet they didn't dust the wall before painting. They missed primering too. Peel off all the loose stuff then paint as usual.

3- I am always loathe to paint over brick or stone. You have to sell your house some day and painted stone isn't a reversible step. What about adding a faux mantle over the top to cover the stone?